Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #1

Summer trip planning - 2017 - PNW

Shoving off for the Pacific Northwest in a couple weeks. We're going to spend the better part of a month cruising around and exploring. We're heading out as soon as the kids get out of school.

I would love some pointers from the PNW crowd on out-of-the-way places and lesser known boondocking, hiking, etc. Last summer we had just a handful of nights of actual campgrounds in 20 plus days and I hope to do it again.

There are some busy, touristy places we want to hit but mostly we just want to get away from the noise as much as possible.

The rough outline: Leave home and head for central Colorado, stay with family a day or two.
Next, drive across to SLC, probably stay in the Big Cottonwood Canyon area.

Next, Boise area, then across to Bend where we will slow down and really cease to have an agenda. Shenrie and others, I would certainly love to know a great spot or two near Boise, maybe one of those awesome hot springs?

We want to spend some time around Bend and on the Cascade Lakes NSB, maybe head down to Crater Lake but we've been there a few times. Then meander up to the Portland area to visit family and friends, then to Olympic Nat'l Park.

I'm sure we'll detour up the Columbia River Gorge for a while and hopefully hit some of Gifford Pinchot but I don't know much about it.

After this we're definitely wanting to explore around Olympic NP and maybe see Seattle in a day but not much interested in cities. About this time we're flying the kids out of Seattle back home and the last 7 or more days are ours.

I really want to see the North Cascades but also don't know hardly anything about the area. Instagram constantly shows me the beauty of east and north of Seattle.

I've jotted down some spots I've seen pics of this past year and would love some pointers from those who are familiar.
In Oregon:
Tumalo Falls
Cane Prairie Reserve
Sparks Lake
Lost Lake
A million waterfalls/waterfall hikes

In Washington:
Lake 22 area
Granite Falls SP
Wallace Falls SP

Sorry for the long post. We'll be traveling in our 25' motorhome, the Sportsmobile Senior affectionately known as 'HERS'.
We need no hookup and have no fear of unpaved roads or pushing the limits of a small motorhome, but we're not planning on conquering the the Rubicon trail of course.

Any pointers welcome, Thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote