Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #31

Garage
Re: TWOLOST: Banff/Jasper: End of the Mayan Calendar

Thanks everyone for your positive comments. Traveling with a three year old is a lot of work and an incredible responsibility… and especially in our case - an amazing, spectacular, miraculous privileged gift as well. Our daughter has been traveling around in our van since she was one and thankfully she has become very accustomed to how our particular traveling routine all works now.

Bratworst: The Toyo’s have worked well for me. Truth in advertising is that on any trip where we expect to be off-road for any period of time (say on a two+ week trip), then I always purchase new tires prior to the trip (regardless of how many miles the existing tires had). This two week trip was no exception. The tires that I had on the van before this trip were from an earlier 37 day trip to UT/AZ. Even though all four tires were new as of April of 2012 and had less than 7500 miles each, the edges on the tread blocks were rounded and there were some larger gashes in the tread blocks from crawling around on the UT/AZ rocks. I had two new tires already and I purchased two more new ones for this trip so that we had the maximum amount of bite. As someone who used to race motorcycles as a hobby... me falling off because my tires were less capable than the rider A) hurt; B) and typically cost more money than if I would have ensured I had the best traction to begin with. I don’t know enough to know if there are better rated traction tires on the market - but I do know that these tires (in the best possible condition) have not let me down.

Cheers,
TWOLOST + 1

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #32

Garage

great trip report and stunning photographs! thanks for posting!! so beautifull...every pic.

ive only been to whistler/blackcomb via vancover and i thought it was amazing, youve just sold me on a bigger adventure next time around!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #33

Wow - Amazing photos!

About 10-12 years ago I went on an ice climbing trip up in that area. Lots of familiar sights, and it is all just so breathtaking in the winter.

I find it amazing that you are doing 300 mile days with your 3 year old! We have yet to venture that far, but our 3 year old daughter loves the van as well. I think the difference between 2 and 3 is significant in their curiosity and we are excited to share some adventure with the kiddos this year.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
Wow - Amazing photos!
X2

While reading this, parents traveling with toddlers get a lot of respect from me

25years ago I started a family, and took from very sage advice from a single mother, career registered nurse with (then) two adult boys, that she raised mostly on her own. She told my wife and I to not stop doing what you are doing, enjoy your hobbies and travel, just bring the kids with you. Sure, it takes extra work, but they easily adapt, and it teaches the kids to be adaptable in later life. Today, I can tell you that advice was spot-on.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #35

WOW!!WOW!!

What a amazing trip...felt like I was along for the whole ride.

Thanks
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #36
Site Team

Garage

That was a nice arm chair trip you took me on. Thanks.

On another note, I wouldn't really want to be a truck driver up there But I probably wouldn't want to be driving a big truck anywhere in weather like that.

I thought the train picture was very cool... almost didn't look real.
What a beautiful region
Nice job

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #37

As always, the pictures are incredible. Thanks for sharing them. Your daughter is growing up fast (I know I don't need to tell you that) and she looks so happy in every picture. My favorite part of your trip reports is that your family and you always make the best of bad situations. It is a great attitude and inspiring to read.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #38

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
...I thought the train picture was very cool... almost didn't look real.
What a beautiful region...
was showing my wife this report last night. wow, after wow, after wow. shes an aspiring photog and was just amazed at your pix. the train one was one of her favorites as well. she loved the ones of your daughter as well. she said tell you that "shes adorable".

beautiful region is an understatement. the mountians just look so humongous. we are very jealous of your journey and hope to follow your path someday.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #39

Great trip report. I always wondered what the place looked like during the winter...

We did almost the exact same trip in summer 2010. The only difference is we came down through Waterton and US Glacier NP.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...ilit=+waterton
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #40

You always take amazing pictures. And you have a completely different definition of Vacation then I do
Barnacules is offline   Reply With Quote