Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #11

Re: Add rear AC and water to a completed SMB?

Wow thanks for all the tips/tricks posted! I read through every one and feel confident I can tackle the water situation.

Anyone have thoughts on adding AC/Heat? I've seen the Mr. Buddy and Fantastic Fans. Just wondering if there are other solutions I'm not aware of.

I must say that Sportsmobile Indiana, Nancy in particular, was incredibly helpful. That experience made me want to build from scratch, just to work with them. For now, I've decided to make a lowball offer on the vehicle in question as it 1) has sat for many months, 2) doesn't exactly meet my needs in other ways and 3) my concern about the overall health of the vehicle (dealership has history of selling lemons) vs. what I'll need to spend to get up to pare. Ultimately I'm willing to walk away so it's a win/win.

As a single female there are occasions when it's better to be in the vehicle, not showering outside with the guys and I do want to minimally rinse some gear but not any dogs. I'm on the East Coast so working with one of these fancy outfitters like Vans Specialties would be a real ordeal. BTW I love their work so it may be exactly where I end up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261317901074...84.m1423.l2649

I saw this van posted on ebay the other day and it's almost perfect. The age and therefore lack of technology ie anti-lock brakes, rollover protection, etc makes me hesitate. Maybe I'm being too cautious. And I don't think I need 4x4 but I'm trying to wrap my mind around taking one of these pigs down near the river... scury!

ygreeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #12

Mr. Buddy is pretty good for emergency heat, I used mine several times in the truck-cap days. Still, it's open flame and therefore sketchy.

I hear you about the safety- I look at older vehicles now and go "that looks nice but I wouldn't want to drive it". It's the fancy ABS and skid control (which annoy me, but are still important), but also the side airbags, modern everything, and the fact that they start when you turn the key. Don't get me wrong, I miss my CometGT which had points and broke everytime I drove it more than 100 miles at a time, but I think if I got into one today I'd be wishing it was a modern Charger.

The other thing, if you get a Ford van you can pretty much add 4x4 when needed, whereas a Dodge... well you can add 4x4 to anything, but I can name 6 places to get 4x4 on a Ford van. If you can afford it I'd buy modern, get it built in Indiana exactly how you want it, and worry about the 4x4 later, only if the fancy LSD and stuff can't handle where you go.

The opposite tact would be to find a good used Quigley passenger van and send it to CCV for the interior you want. That way you get 4x4 up front, and still get the layout you want.

Or keep looking, it is nearly winter after all!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
The other thing, if you get a Ford van you can pretty much add 4x4 when needed, whereas a Dodge... well you can add 4x4 to anything, but I can name 6 places to get 4x4 on a Ford van.
Don't forget about serviceability. Most Ford dealers are familiar 4x4s, and some converters like QuadVan use all Ford moving parts. Take other vans in for service, and they'll be much more lost, especially since most other 4x4 vans still use the Ford front end! Even Sprinter vans!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #14

Ygreeny, where are you in the east coast? There are a few of us SMBers over here on the "right coast" and you could possibly take a look at one of ours in person if needed. I'm near Philadelphia.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Ygreeny, where are you in the east coast? There are a few of us SMBers over here on the "right coast" and you could possibly take a look at one of ours in person if needed. I'm near Philadelphia.
Hi neighbor :-)
ygreeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #16

I saw that van on craigslist and thought it a nice platform to build from,but for a couple grand more and patience you can get a full blow class b motorhome.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote