Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #1

Fuel Filter Woes??? 7.3 Specific

Let me run this down for you and you can come to your own conclusions.

Having problems (unrelated) so went to a Ford dealer. While they had the motor striped down, I asked them to install my new fuel filter. This new fuel filter was a Wix (new style with the attached lid). From the moment I picked up the van, the engine was throwing fault codes and it didn't seem to be running at 100%. Over the next couple of weeks, the van ran worse and worse to the point it was undrivable (acting exactly like the fuel was gelled -rattling, blowing black smoke, no power, etc-Clearly a fuel-related issue). Well, the stuff done at the Ford shop could be the cause, but the more I thought about it, the more likely scenerio was the new fuel filter. I had been told (by those that wear Ford briefs by day and Ford pajamas to bed, so a little suspect) that Wix and other after market fuel filters created some driveability concerns. Anyway, installed a Motorcraft (same as Rancor) fuel filter and a new Ford fule filter cover (the Ford dealer never gave me mine back) yesterday. Now, temps are much better these days than back in January. Also, I ran a can of Seafoam through the injection system. Keeping those two things in mind, the van fired right up, did not sound like it was going to explode and did not blow tons of black smoke out the exhaust like before. But for the two new exhaust leaks that I'll take care of, the van is running better than even.

So, as you can see, there may be a few explanations for the fix. However, it appears to me that the problem was simply the Wix fuel filter. So, I'd recommend you avoid aftermarket filters and stick with the Motorcraft or Rancor filters exclusively. Results may vary. Oh, a great source for the Rancor filters is http://www.powerstrokeshop.com. The Rancor filter and the Motorcraft filter are the same, but for branding. The Rancor can be found by following this link (you'll need to scroll to the bottom of the page because you'll likely just see a black screen at first): http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/part ... logid=3660

Old 03-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Fuel Filter Woes??? 7.3 Specific

Glad to hear your rig is back up and running correctly. This issue's been haunting you since the drive back from Baja, right?

Herb
Old 03-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #3

Yes. It started with the leaking high pressure oil lines. When those were fixed, the problems regarding fueling issues began immediately. The fuel filter may not prove to be the problem, but seems too much a coininkidink to not be the fuel filter. I have the sensors and haven't installed them (major pain) yet.

Need to get the van back into shape as I'm seriously considering a trip back to Baja with dirt bikes. Things are slow right now, so why not, right??
Old 03-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
Yes. It started with the leaking high pressure oil lines. When those were fixed, the problems regarding fueling issues began immediately. The fuel filter may not prove to be the problem, but seems too much a coininkidink to not be the fuel filter. I have the sensors and haven't installed them (major pain) yet.

Need to get the van back into shape as I'm seriously considering a trip back to Baja with dirt bikes. Things are slow right now, so why not, right??
hmmm....could that Avatar photo of yours be related to your problems....? See what happens when you follow Scatter.

Herb
Old 03-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #5

Nah, the oil line leak is a common deal and happened on the way to Scatter's place. The fueling issue happened week+ later (starting in Fresno). I need to start thinking about tackling my fridge problem next.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #6

In my 20+ years of experience of working on cars, I've decided there is usually nothing better than factory parts. Now if the people installing them were as reliable...

Tom
Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
I need to start thinking about tackling my fridge problem next.
Hey deminimis, just got a NEW fridge from Norcold under warrantee. As in free . Works great and is even quieter the the one that went bad. Sure beats dragging the ice chest full of stinky water all over Baja.
By the way, your oil stain on the driveway bleached out in the sun and there's no evidence of your visit. Guess you'll have to stop by again.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #8

That wasn't an oil stain, but rather, my SMB was just marking its territory. Glad to hear it bleached out.

Trying to get a buddy or two to come down to Baja so we can ride dirt bikes. If doable, we'll wait until after the San Felipe race (13-15). Not sure I'll be able to pull it off as kids' grandparents (babysiters) are heading out to MN for a few weeks soon.