Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #11

Re: Getting ready to install a Fantastic fan, advice?

http://www.rvwithtito.com/videos/how-in ... c-vent-fan The install starts at 6 minutes.

I used ACE rope caulk to seal mine. Above 'how to' used butyl tape.

I would think putting near the front (ceiling high point) would be best for heat removal.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #12

Great, thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of the use of the self leveling sealer, I'll have to find some. I think he called it Dicor or something. Thanks again.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #13

A "clamp fan" is a version that doesn't use screws or fasteners from the top; instead the inside garnish works as a clamp ring. I would guess that they feel you thus cannot create enough pressure for good "squeeze" on certain bedding compounds. If your fan uses 16 or so screws around the perimeter flange on the roof, then it's not a "clamp" version.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #14

I didn't get any wind noise with mine. I put it right in the middle of a CCV top. Even if you did I think having a Fantastic Vent is worth it. Like Len said I would want it more towards the front or high point, or at least in the middle. Good luck!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
A "clamp fan" is a version that doesn't use screws or fasteners from the top; instead the inside garnish works as a clamp ring.
That's what it sounded like, but there is no mention on the website. I wonder if it's only sold to upfitters or something and not available to the retail public?. Anyway, it's going dead center most of the way forward. If it suffers from wind noise, I have a front rack / cargo basket planned anyway that should block the wind. Thanks all
Advanced 4wd
Old 10-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
If it suffers from wind noise, I have a front rack / cargo basket planned anyway that should block the wind. Thanks all
Lol. Actually the rack/cargo basket is just going to make more wind noise not block it, and then after awhile when you add enough crap to a camper van you just have wind noise and live with it. Turn the radio up, or roll the windows down and enjoy. It's a rolling house after all, not a sports car. Enjoy!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
[Lol. Actually the rack/cargo basket is just going to make more wind noise not block it:
Yea, but it will be a different noise
Advanced 4wd
Old 10-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #18

I think that may be the case. I have an older "OEM" catalog of theirs and the clamp fan is shown, plus a few other variations that regular people like us can't buy. I called and asked them about it because there was something I wanted (not the clamp fan but something else) and they said nope, that sort of thing was too complicated for regular people (it was a wired wall switch). Ooookay. They did mention I might find something on eBay, so I looked and yes, many OEM parts were available (different switches, etc.)

I now have a non-SMB rig (so roof shape is slightly different), and the Fantastic Vents were installed (OEM) right near the front of the roof. They all have terrible wind noise (as if vent is open, but it's closed). I spoke with Jerry at Fantastic about it at length and he said that various RV's have had this problem if vent is near front of roof (but it probably also depends on roof shape, etc. - maybe it's fine on front of roof of SMB PH shape). He/I think it is caused by wind hitting the plastic "riser" that sits just under the vent dome. I tried a double insulated dome and that didn't change it, which supports this theory. Next I will make a dam of some sort to direct wind up and over it. The vent is around 3" back from an "upswoop" at the front of the roof. So again, not sure this would apply to SMB PH roof. And it sounds like you don't really have a placement choice anyway.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:20 AM   #19

I'll be able to road test the vent noise tomorrow. I would have finished today, but no sooner did I start cutting a 14 inch hole in the top that it started raining. I had checked the forecast a couple hours prior and the rain wasn't scheduled for 18hrs. The vent is in the hole, but I didn't want to try to seal it while it was wet, so now it sits under a tarp.
Advanced 4wd
Old 10-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #20

Ok, it's in, and despite Rallypanam's advice to measure once and cut twice I got it in with a minimum of troubles. There were a few hickups along the way though, most centered around the headliner. I knew it would be delicate, so after cutting it away, I traced out the four corners, and then began to drill one corner from the inside to locate the other holes from the top. I pulled back the headliner with one hand, and was drilling with the other, when this happened.

The drill accidently snagged the corner of the headliner and ripped a big chunk out
After a few choice words, I figured out I could move the whole thing over half an inch and then the trim ring would cover my sins. After checking the weather forecast an hour prior which indicated rain, but not for 18hrs
I drilled the other corners, and cut the hole with a jug saw. Sure enough as I began the first cut, the rain started. So, the tarp came out and I went inside to find a beer. Today I cleaned everything with Acetone, laid down some buytl strips and screwed it down. The inside trim ring was way too big, but the trusty rotozip made short work of cutting it down. I got lucky with the wiring, and just slipped the wires under the headliner and connected them to the light. The wire to the light is plenty big enough, but I'll find it's fuse and make sure it's rating does not exceed that of the wire. If the fan blows the fuse, I'll know I need to run a bigger feed wire. The only other issue was that my original marking of the corners with a Sharpie were no longer covered with the trim ring. Fortunately, by very carefully blotting them with a rag and acetone I got them out. Next time I'll use something less permanent. Thanks for all the advice It now looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
fan 1.jpg   fan 3.jpg  
Advanced 4wd