Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #11

Re: rear bench seat safety harness

Right now I am using the electric seat/bed that came with my van. No headrests but a very tall seat that works for a headrest for my smaller son. I do have shoulder belts for the two outboard passengers, a lap belt for the middle person. I want to replace the set up with the SMB bench/bed and side closets for more storage space and a better bed.

What stops me jumping right in to get it done is the issue of the lap belts and complete absence of headrests. I did replace my lap belts with shoulder belts on my Westfalia years ago but could never figure out the issue of head restraints. From what I've seen, the frame that the SMB lap belts bolt too could easily be used for a shoulder belt mounting, even if it was not inertia reel. And of course the harnesses that came up earlier on this thread would work as well. But headrests are still the issue.

Incidentally when I was van shopping I did pass up an SMB that had the sideways benches simply because there is no way to safely restrain someone in an accident if they are seated sideways. I love the layout of the center aisle for camping but it's not so good for driving.

axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #12

Re: rear bench seat safety harness

For the xB50 layout, it looks like a set of minivan rear seats would fit in the rear position nicely. Some of them, like Nissan Quest seats, will fold out flat. Then you could throw a futon mattress over is for sleeping. The newer minivans all have 3 headrests. I don't think Sprinter seats fold down flat.