Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #11

Re: Audio Upstairs -- Penthouse Speakers?

You could also go Garage Saleing and find yourself a Ghetto Blaster for Cheap. Maybe even one with an 8 Track. Then play all those Good Albums like 5Th Dimension.

Paul

Old 10-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #12

Thanks for the ideas. I think sdwindansea's suggestion of using a switch & wiring to the rear speakers circuit might be the simplest approach.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #13

Bluetooth is intriguing, but I see some disadvantages.

My current setup involves using the Ford head unit's audio CD-changer interface to switch among various inputs -- computer, phone, XM radio -- as well as easy FM radio access.

If I understand this correctly, the usual Bluetooth approach would be to transmit directly from the digital source (computer or phone). This means I wouldn't be able to listen to XM or FM radio. The audio source switchover would be a moderately complicated affair.

Another option would be to get an analog-to-Bluetooth box, and attach it to the Ford head unit's output -- which would allow me to keep my "simple" interface of using the Ford head unit as the audio source switch. However, the audio quality might be noticeably degraded by yet another analog/digital conversion step. I'd be going digital (computer/phone/XM) to analog (Ford head unit) to digital (Bluetooth) to analog (speaker). And I predict there would be a noticeable echo effect unless I find a way to turn off the van's wired speakers -- the Bluetooth unit would add a tiny delay in the signal conversion.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #14

Geoff, another potential option would be to run an AUX wire (3.5 mm) from the head unit up to the penthouse where you could plug in the speaker when needed. This assumes that the head unit has the AUX output.

Every bluetooth speaker I've ever seen has an AUX input. The only thing you would need to check is if the head unit plays the van speakers when nothing is plugged in and switches to the bluetooth speaker when the AUX is connected to it.

With all that being said, this may not be any easier/simpler than just wiring the speakers directly with a switch.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
Site Team

I'm far more inclined to use my rechargeable tablet and portable bluetooth speaker (with rechargeable batteries) than the very high current draw vehicle head unit.

Easier to change the music too, rather than having to work my way to the front of the vehicle.

If you are determined to use the vehicle head unit, my tablet can pair to the head unit, my tablet can pair to my portable speaker, I wonder if the vehicle head unit can pair to the portable speaker? No wires to run.

Herb
Old 10-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Easier to change the music too, rather than having to work my way to the front of the vehicle.
Aha! A very good point. I don't want to be crawling downstairs to change music.

-- Geoff
Old 10-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #17

For upstairs I'd go bluetooth or portable. We have bluetooth for our main stereo, end up not using that much, and go with the plugged in iPod most of the time.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote