Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #21

Re: Back up camera suggestions

I don't know if a backup camera will power a 7" Nexus, but this is pretty cool:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03- ... stall.html

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #22

Re: Back up camera suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Any ideas about wiring a camera so that it's powered with the ignition? I suppose I could wire to running lights, or license plate light, and then remember to turn on my headlights during the day, but I'd still prefer something that is hot only when the ignition is on. I can't think of anything in the back of the van to use.

Could I use a low voltage relay that tied into the rear speaker wire? I generally only use the stereo when the van is running.
If you have the trailer towing option, the trailer power should only be live when the ignition is on.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:37 AM   #23

bringing this back from the dead. I'm looking at mounting a back-up camera below the 3rd brake light like posted previously. What's the best place to pull power from for the camera?
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb View Post
bringing this back from the dead. I'm looking at mounting a back-up camera below the 3rd brake light like posted previously. What's the best place to pull power from for the camera?
If you only want to use it when backing up, just power it off of one of the reverse lights. Otherwise the auxiliary blower motor wiring is a good source.

Alternately, just run power alongside the video feed when you wire it in. Tuck it in the headliner and bring it down the driver side B pillar along with all the other wires.
pugslyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:34 AM   #25

There's a similar thread updated fairly recently (past week or so). Search to check it out for more ideas
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #26

Thanks fellas. I just found the other thread. Looks like the 7-pin trailer plug has a hot lead too
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb View Post
Thanks fellas. I just found the other thread. Looks like the 7-pin trailer plug has a hot lead too
Ah yes, good point - for some reason didn't even think about trailer wiring but definitely a good option.
pugslyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #28

Garage
I'm considering a camera this year, mainly to show me how close I am to the vehicle behind me when I park. I've already paid out enough in body shop charges to have bought the camera. I like the idea of wireless, and mounting it on the Baja box to view the gap in real time. Just starting the research....