Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #11

Re: Edge Insight CTS with EGT, Turbo Timer and Backup Camera

Thank you for the photo. I will order the probe and post the results if it fits. Their probe is only $30 but extends 3" into the transmission. If it fits smoothly or I can adjust the depth, I will post my results. My fear would be having the probe damage the intermal gear mechanisms. They do offer a universal probe attachment. But that is $150 plus the cost of second manufacturer's probe.

Edge says there may be a fix for the OBII in the future. Not for a few months, minimum.

How essential is the EOT? I saw a few fixes.

http://www.dieselmanor.com/autometer/AM ... dapter.asp - 1/8" NPT (female) to M16x1.5 (male) Metric Adapter. Plugs into a port off the oil cooler. Point #6 on this photo diagram... http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv38 ... 1284437290 With our vans, the access point would seem difficult.

The other option is a bullet oil cap with temp probe...albeit not as accurate.

Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #12

It is not essential to monitor EOT. Or voltage. Or EGT. Or RPMs. Or anything. But is nice to know your EGR cooler is taking out your oil cooler before you need a new engine.

That said, I don't monitor it all the time. But I do check it every few hundred miles. So far so good. If I had never checked it I still wouldn't have a problem. So, what I really prevented was a lot of worry.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
It is not essential to monitor EOT. Or voltage. Or EGT. Or RPMs. Or anything. But is nice to know your EGR cooler is taking out your oil cooler before you need a new engine.

That said, I don't monitor it all the time. But I do check it every few hundred miles. So far so good. If I had never checked it I still wouldn't have a problem. So, what I really prevented was a lot of worry.
I prefer a heavy application of ignorance in these cases, helps absolve the worry and is quite a bit cheaper than anything else on the market.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

I totally agree. If you remember, I started that thread on my '08 having high trans. temp.
If I hadn't had a Scan gauge, I'd have never known, and would have been happier than a clam...
Bill
"When ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise"
Old 01-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #15

This is an update post:

I updated my firmware and lost many monitoring option. I had to run a separate TFT probe because I had only 16 monitor options, lacking EOT and TFT most importantly. The firmware resulted in a loss of many monitors. The engineers at the tech dept were able to correct the software and now I get 27 monitors. The limited results had something to do with 2010 year E350 6.0. Now this has been corrected. So if anyone ever has an Edge insight and you are unable to get all the monitor options, let them know they have resolved this issue before.

Nice to follow EOT and ECT.

Acl pedal position
barometric pressure
*battery V
corrected vehicle speed
*EAS EGT -I installed
*ECT
Engine Load
*EOT
Engine RPM
FICM Voltage (V)
Gear and TCL status (torque converter lock)
ICP
Injector control pressure
Air intake temp
*Manifold absolute pressure
Mass air flow
miliage average
miliage coach
miliage instruction (economy)
outdoor temp - I installed
run time
TCC duty cycle
*TFT
trip odometer
*turbo boost
*VGT duty cycle (variable geometry turbo)
Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #16

I still feel that the Edge Platinum installed for me by Shawn at Zylstras is the single best improvement to our SportMobile to date !
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #17

That unit looks really great. I had an egr delete placed and am having Jodi at DP-tunes.com write some custom tunes for my van. Zylstra tried to but the computer on the 2010 year van or maybe my van is just unique and difficult to write tunes for. However at 1000 miles on stock, no check engine light with the egr delete. Something to consider. I will be using a SCT tuner and flash the computer.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
This is an update post:
Acl pedal position
barometric pressure
*battery V
corrected vehicle speed
*EAS EGT -I installed
*ECT
Engine Load
*EOT
Engine RPM
FICM Voltage (V)
Gear and TCL status (torque converter lock)
ICP
Injector control pressure
Air intake temp
*Manifold absolute pressure
Mass air flow
miliage average
miliage coach
miliage instruction (economy)
outdoor temp - I installed
run time
TCC duty cycle
*TFT
trip odometer
*turbo boost
*VGT duty cycle (variable geometry turbo)
What do the *'s mean in your list. I understand that *EGT and *TFT were things you needed optional sensors for, but certainly *ECT and *EOT did not, right? And in the end, do you still think this monitor (if you already had a backup camera) is better than any model of the ScanGauge?
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #19

My 2010 E van was unusual...it took them 9 months to figure out the code for that model year or my particular van. I lacked the EOT and TFT, and others. So I placed the TFT myself. Now I get everything. I prefer the Insight for better screen, expandibility and Exhast Gas Temp which is critical. You could get a separate EGT, analogue guage and keep the scanguage. I just fount the scanguage hard to read and distracting. The insight, I have 8 variables at once to monitor.

The back up camera integration is nice addition too.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #20

Not to muddy the waters but on both of full trips to the Dyno early on with a Scanguage installed I recorded numbers with differences of up to 9 degrees on water and oil temps on the Dynomometer from Scanguage readings . Third trip to my Buddys Dyno with the Edge installed provided readings that were Spot ON the money for EGT , OIL , Water , and Transmission temperatures . I really had Shawn install the Edge for monitering purpose's more than any big horsepower gains and now able to drive with some confidence into the more remote ares that we love . The extra horsepower that I occasionally ask for is very desirable as well .
Greggd
P.S. Scanguage was giving me cooler temperatures than the direct connected Dyno !
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote