Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #11

Re: High output alternator experience

Yes, do the belt at the same time unless you recently did a new Ford belt or equivalent. Your standard parts store offering is not up to par. Napa has a really good Heavy Duty belt which is green on one side. No stretch, and much less slip that a standard grade belt. I put them on the fleet trucks which have hydraulic "clutch-pumps" (basically a PTO substitute which allow use while in motion.... many PTOs can't power hydraulics while in motion).

Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Makes sense to replace the serpentine belt at the same time? I believe the SPX sold by Nations is made by DCpower which is the manufacturer of the XP alternator I'm researching. The major difference being the rectifier is laser welded, it has a hairpin design stator and better technology.
Yeah Joe, that's what I got, the older XP. They can put it in a different case, mine being the standard non-bling model. One thing you need to make sure is that it comes in the same size case or you'll have to modify some brackets and dent the aluminum Turbo tube to get a larger cased alternator to fit...at least with my limited knowledge, that's how I saw it. You will also have to install a larger lug because the bolt is larger on the back of the alternator. To get the new alternator to sit flush I had to grind off a small section to clear a bracket...don't know about the 300. So yeah it kinda dropped in with just enough BS to really ruin my night. And getting the belt on was a PITA but with better tools it could go better. I would agree to replace the belt but mine was new. Good to know there is a good aftermarket one out there...have fun

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #13

Looks like this will fit my van. Thinking about the upgrade too. Anyone know what the idle amps are of a stock 2006 V10 Alt are? Don't see any markings on mine to identify it.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/high-outp...ries&year=2001

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #14

I took it down to Ford and paid them $50 to do an electrical diagnostic check and also in the hope that the mechanic had messed with a ground or something when pulling the wire loom loose to replace one of the fuel filters.

As suspected, the alternator has intermittent output which they blame on one of the starting batteries being bad. That could be the case, but geez they're only a year old. At least there's some warranty left on those. Anyhow, sometimes you just don't know what to believe but here's what they told me after I mentioned replacing the failing unit with a high-output one:

-Stock is indeed 110A but Ford doesn't recommend putting in a bigger one (I assume higher output not just the case size) because it will short out the instrument cluster
-And because it's PCM controlled the computer will never let it get full output
-$504 for the same alternator new
-don't go aftermarket because the system is synergistic and will only play nice with a motorcraft.

I believe I'll be placing a call to DCpower here shortly
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Looks like this will fit my van. Thinking about the upgrade too. Anyone know what the idle amps are of a stock 2006 V10 Alt are? Don't see any markings on mine to identify it.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/high-outp...ries&year=2001
The dealer will be able to tell you with the VIN number.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #16

Joe, looks like from your thread it's not a good idea to upgrade with the issue you mentioned?

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 12-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
-Stock is indeed 110A but Ford doesn't recommend putting in a bigger one (I assume higher output not just the case size) because it will short out the instrument cluster
-And because it's PCM controlled the computer will never let it get full output
-$504 for the same alternator new
-don't go aftermarket because the system is synergistic and will only play nice with a motorcraft.

I believe I'll be placing a call to DCpower here shortly
Sounds like BS to me but I could be wrong. I do know things did change in the newer models and if that's the case I'm glad I have a 2006. Ford did the 1st 200A install but I did the 275. The 200A model was OK and did keep my charge above a minus draw that was happening with my starcool running. If I didn't have the starcool, the twin alternator setup that most ambulances have would be a good way to go as well. I don't know how they are setup but it would be nice if one failed the second would be there supplying some charge. I've never taken down both house batteries below 50% yet, but when they are somewhat low, I see as much as 24 amps while charging the batteries and it tapers way down as the move to the fully charged position. With the stock alternators I was lucky to get 5 amps if some stuff was running and like I said, provided the Starcool was on (and it was overcast or night) I was taking the batteries down to run it. Not good when you get to camp and the batteries are low after a long drive.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #18

I am going to give them a call today about the link they sent me.

The solar we have does a good job but sometimes it's on the edge with all the things I have charging 24/7 in the van.

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Joe, looks like from your thread it's not a good idea to upgrade with the issue you mentioned?
Yeah, as DaveB alluded to I think it's BS. I'm not sure by that's the info they got from calling the "Ford Engineers" on the bat phone whe I inquired about higher-output motorcraft offerings. I'm pretty sure they put beefier setups on ambulances, etc. Do they have an entirely different wiring harness for the instrument cluster on a 2005 or any other year for that matter? I doubt it but maybe so. Or, they use dual alternater setups but either way from reading the diesel forums it's not a freak occurrence to put an aftermarket alternator on a Ford.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Gassers can be upgraded to a larger alt. Gasser alts are internally regulated. Diesels have to be upgraded to dual-alts because they are PCM regulated (and after the 2nd alt is added it has to be reflashed).

Ford offers up to a 220amp alt on the V10s from the factory.