Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #11

Re: Overland Solar portable kits?

I have the 90 watt as well. Works well, great construction and in my opinion good price. The cheaper ones are just that...cheap Chinese made panels with little or no warranty. You get what you pay for. Cheers

2010 BMW GSA 30th
medicfernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825
I'm running a single Deka 4D AGM battery. It the extra big one SMB offered as an up spec. Battery was replaced last Fall and currently gets me approx 2ish days before dropping below 12.4-12.5v
Hello. I am in SLC and am about due for a new house battery. Where did you get your Deka (how much) and does it come available with the blade style terminals? Thanks
2010 BMW GSA 30th
medicfernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:39 AM   #13

We are new solar panel owners.

Ours are 200w fixed on roof of van. 2-3 hours of direct sun per day is enough to keep the house batteries charged for refrig and LED lights use. Direct sun charges the batteries at 150w-170w rate.

I would think that: 1. being able to point panels at sun. 2. being able to avoid shade That half of that capacity would be adequate for a van........say 100w ish of PORTABLE solar panels?? Assuming few cloudy days though.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS

I would think that: 1. being able to point panels at sun. 2. being able to avoid shade That half of that capacity would be adequate for a van........say 100w ish of PORTABLE solar panels?? Assuming few cloudy days though.

Just a bit of "one-source and only over two months" data: I added a pair of 100 watt Grape flexible panels to my rig in early June. I had been resisting portable panels (meanwhile planning a large rooftop array of "hard" panels) because I couldn't figure out where to put them when traveling. Plus I like to be ready to roll and didn't want stuff to fuss with prior to that.

Then a visit to a friend who lives off grid prompted me to put together something quickly. And I figured out that the two 100 watt panels (they are each around 21" wide, 42" tall, and 1/4" thick) would fit standing up right behind the driver's seat in my rig. I wired up a temporary (but well wired) system with the two panels in series and away I went.

I only have two 12volt cigarette outlets running on the system right now. Into one is plugged my Waeco CF50 cooler (Danfoss 35 compressor refrigerator), and into the other is a "power strip" that takes 12v cig plugs plus USB plugs. I use that for laptop, phone, AA batt, iPad, etc. charging.

Well, it has worked so well that I'm now planning to reduce roof panelage and keep this as a permanent part of the system. Right now I'm parked in deep shade and the panels are cranking away in full sun (while my camping buddy had to park in full sun with only roof panels). I do still want some roof solar too though so that if only stopping for a day or two I don't have to deploy the ground panels.

Of course it's the best time of year for solar, and pretty much every day has been sunny, but the panels are more than keeping up with my minimal loads. Still up at 12.8 or so at overnight resting voltage most nights (over 95% SOC), and back up to full each day. I do have a proportionately large battery bank right now, because I sized that for the eventual more solar (375 amp hours of AGM). My plan was/is that I would have turned the refrigerator off if it had started really drawing the batteries down because I don't know that I could ever have caught back up with the smaller array (don't have alternator attached to this bank yet, just solar).

Anyway, I've been really impressed with how well it has worked. I don't expect a really long life from the panels (they just look kind of wimpy compared to glass panels, physically), but I couldn't do this with glass panels, and we'll see what's on the market when these die. Maybe something like Aurinco or Solbian will have come down a bit in cost. Oh, and I didn't even know about the Overland Solar when I bought these, so obviously that is another good option.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:02 AM   #15

I have both a fixed roof panel, but also carry Overland Solar 120 watt panel. Nice thing is it folds into thirds, vs half like many others. I also installed a plug into my side nerf bar which makes using it very easy. Quality and service are great.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote