Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
Oni

Any updates to the rigid Kyocera panels? Any breakage or other problems? My friend Jeff has the flexible panels, and they are pretty tough. Since I'm not planning on a roof rack or ladder, figure as long as they are robust I may as well go with the higher power panels.

Saw the recent post about the new Starcool that can run a few hours off battery power. We plan to get a SMB next year and do some traveling with our dogs.

Hoping a few of the Kyocera 130 watt panels to help the battery would give us a few extra minutes to stop somewhere to grab a bite to eat and keep the dogs happy and safe. May help keep the sun from directly hitting a good size portion of the roof too, which should help keep temps down as well.

Still in the research stage...ugh...so many options...can't choose...

Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #12

I recently mounted three of the Kyocera 130's on my roof. I don't plan to put anything else up there except the panels. These panels were purchased used, they are 6 years old and look new to me. No cracking or obvious issues I can see. I don't have any figures on output yet, but seems like there is plenty of power. One thing to consider is the weight of the rigid panels. These things weigh around 22 pounds each. I was surprised to see my top wouldn't stay up after all that weight was added. I still need to adjust my springs. I had panels on my other motorhome and have nothing but good to say about the whole concept. It's magic, free energy (after initial investment). I can post pictures if you need them.

tom.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #13

Heck yah we want pictures!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #14

Finally got around to taking a not so good picture of my panels. Simple mount with 2x2 aluminum angle iron running down the sides of the top. Bolts go through the top, but are outside of the fabric. Added around 100 pounds to the roof. I recently tightened the springs up 4 links per side and it's still a bit heavy. I'll take two more links out per side and should be right in there. Hard to say how well the panels will keep up so far because it's getting so much cooler outside. I turned on the fridge last week, and assume it will run indefinitely with the solar helpers.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #15

You need to change your signature!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #16

Looks like a clean install.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote