Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #1

cargo box

Does anyone know the dimensions of SMB's Ford cargo boxes?

These are the storage compartments they build under the rear floor of the van with access through the interior. I tried a forum search but didn't have any luck finding the info.

I'm wondering about the difference between the two sizes they offer - the regular and the extra large (8 cubic foot) storage compartments.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

sg

shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: cargo box

There was someone here on the forum that was making their own version and selling them. With some searching, you should be able to find that thread too.

Herb
Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #3

Garage

You can also ask U-Joint Offroad, Chris sells a nice one.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #4

NorthLeftCoast makes them. He made mine and it came out great! He has a post in the Vendor Special sub-forum in the classifieds.

As for size - bigger is better! I actually wish mine were bigger but I sized it do leave room for a 2nd rear fuel tank.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell
Does anyone know the dimensions of SMB's Ford cargo boxes?

I'm wondering about the difference between the two sizes they offer - the regular and the extra large (8 cubic foot) storage compartments.

sg
I didn't know they came in 2 sizes. My box is 13" deep at deepest. The back of the bottom edge is tapered up to an 8" depth at the back for departure angle. The box is 32" wide and 29" fore/aft. The full depth portion of the box is 17" fore/aft. By my math, this box comes out at about 6.5 cu ft.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

The size difference of the XL storage might have to do with the placement of equipment such as the battery. At first SMB didn't think they could get 2 4-D batteries in my EB due to the box. But considering it replaces where the spare was, yeah I don't know why it would be any different other than needing space for something else. I have seen vans that have a smaller hatch opening on the box than mine has. Not only would I like a larger storage area if I could, I'd also want a bigger hatch opening. Reaching around in there and stowing larger items is a PITA at times.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #7

Mine (98 EB) has the smaller hatch, but it is constrained by the fact that we have cabinets at the very back on each side, which limits the floor space available for the hatch. It's tight to get some things in, but the extra space is still invaluable. It's surprising how much you can fit in there!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
Site Team

IMO, it was the biggest, unsung additions to our SMB. I loved how much it held, but yes, things could get lost down there. Here's a great addition to the storage box by John.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12793&hilit=storage+led

Herb