Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #1

What is a 99.5?

I am buying a shop manual for my 99.5 7.3. I've read I should buy parts for a 2000 when I do because Ford did their model year changes during Dec '98-Mar '99 ILO the normal time. The actual changes for the 2000 were very, very minimal. So, is a 99.5 a 1999 or a 2000? I didn't want to spend $140 for the wrong book.

I called Ford's Customer Service; and a very nice lady took lots of time working the question. She talked to someone in parts who said I should buy a manual for 1999. I was surprised and still not sure about the correctness; but that's what Ford said. That's what I'll do.

The 99-03 7.3 E-350's are so much the same, anyway, I don't think I'll be mislead too badly.

I need a Wiring Diagram Manual; but the usual source is out. Does anyone know where else they're buyable?

JC

Old 10-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #2

Re: What is a 99.5?

Is this the regular source? This is where I got mine. I wouldn't worry so much about the year. These vans are basically the same from 92-present, but 2001 vs. 2000 or 99 is probably not changed at all.
Mine has been very helpful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Ford-E-...2e8cb8&vxp=mtr

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Here's a summation of the changes Ford rolled out midway thru 99 (hence the 99.5). Wanted to know for myself, so I did some quick searching. Can't vouch for the accuracy.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/early- ... rucks.html

Herb
Old 10-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #4

I'll try to use eBay for my manuals.

I need to completely take apart and exchange, not only the dashboard for which there are lots of posts and Utube helps, but the entire main dash assembly. Does anyone know if my shop manual to-be-ordered will show schematics on how to do that? If not, is there a set of body shop manuals for the 99-03's that will?

The linked list is great. Nice to know about the specific internal engine changes and part. What I found conspicuously missing was transmission changes. I've read elsewhere the model change in 99 was covered up w complaints about the trany; and that was one of the main reasons for the ahead-of-time model year changes. Ford was getting beat up over it. Moot point to me, anyway, because I'm going to have my 99.5 version trany rebuilt.

Thanks

JC