Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #31

Re: Porta Potti usage info?

We found the Porta Potti took up too much room. We use these: www.traveljohn.com/1-1.php
or another product:
www.whennaturecalls.com/products/restop1.html

Langton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #32

Re: Porta Potti usage info?

Our port-a-potty is used most all the time. My wife uses it nearly 100% of the time and I use it most of the time. It needs to emptied about every 4 days. I do prefer (when I think about it and have the opportunity) to empty it sooner because of the weight when completely full.

I believe ours holds 4 gallons fresh water and 5 gallons black water. 5 gallons translates into about 40 lbs of liquid to carefully move about in the van and to transport outside to empty. That is why I prefer to catch it 2/3rds full or so.

We have have porta potti's or packa potti's (both Thetford I think) for over 30 years. We are on our second unit and I just replaced the pump bellows in it last fall.

I started out using the liquid "blue" stuff in the holding tank. Never had a REAL leak with the stuff but it does not take many drops to make a mess. Did use the pour in powder for several years but did not like breathing the dust. We now use the 1 oz. (?) dissolving packets. Very nice, easy and low risk of collateral damage.

Ours is located in a dedicated restroom at the back of the van. With an extended van it really is not in the way. Indeed it is nice to have it. Wife REALLY thinks so.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote