Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #11

Re: Sunshade for Sportsmobile roof to help cool

Everything old is new again... Land Rovers were available from the beginning with what I think was called a 'Safari' top. Basically an extra thin metal roof mounted on top of the existing one. Shaded the roof and allowed for air circulation between the 2. I tried to copy a picture but failed, this link will show you one:

http://classiccarsmonthly.com/magazine/ ... eless+car/

Mind you this was before AC but they really did work in the heat. I think air space under the shade material, whatever it is, is the key for maximum efficiency.

witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #12

I got some sun shade type material in white with some small green stripes at my local Ace for about $30. Chopped it and have used it on the top or hanging from the sides. Works best with a bit of an air gap, but you could just lay some stuff on top of the penthouse or improvise. Mine isn't metallic. It's basically kind of like the stuff outdoor chairs are made of. And it makes a great ground cloth as well, since it is permeable.

It seems like the same material also comes in different weaves, which are then sometimes sold as shade cloth with differing amounts of opaqueness.

In the summer it's a great replacement for an all purpose tarp.

Rob
Old 09-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #13

Overkill, I guess, but you could mount an awning backwards and pull it over the roof. Heck, have one mounted right on the other side also. Pretty expensive compared to the mesh solutions.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for the terrific tips. I ordered a shade cloth as suggested, a large sliver reflective tarp, and a roll of the reflectix for the windows, etc. Received everything today so can't wait to try it this weekend to see if it will help beat some of this Texas heat and help out the Starcool system.
mericatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

We have some insulating panels that fit inside the canvas of the PHT. These have been used successfully in both heat and cold. The roll up nicely into the size of a two camp chairs or a couple of air mattresses. We love these and they have proved invaluable.

...and the best part is, my wife can make some for you if you need some....

Greg in Austin
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #16

There are all kinds of pop-up beach "huts". I'd think figuring out a way to attach one or more to the roof would help shade and cool the van.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
There are all kinds of pop-up beach "huts". I'd think figuring out a way to attach one or more to the roof would help shade and cool the van.
One of the Bus Depot awnings could be easily attached to the roof and provide some shade.. I had one and they are pretty sturdy, with poles running down both long sides - which could be attached to roof somehow.

http://www.busdepot.com/ezyplus
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #18

in my astrovan I just put rtech foam insulation on the roof interior, last year I just duct tape it to the roof but then it started to sag. This year my project is to remove the original roofliner/insulation (it looks like some sort of thin cardboard material) and I'm just going to hot glue the foam to the metal roof, I already did the rear section of the roof and it seems to work. I cut the foam in small sections, that way if one piece falls off, it will be easy to replace it.
Also all my rear van windows have the rtech insulation but I use 2 inch thick insulation thats where all my heat comes in. Between the driver section and the rear of the van I actually built a foam divider with a sliding foam door to seperate both compartments. It can be 140 degrees in the front and 80 degrees in the back.
I do have a 240 watt solar panel attach permanently on the roof and that does block some of the sun.
On the weekends when I go to the beach I can spend all day in my van with all the windows and roof vents closed and just have my swamp cooler keep me cool. i always park out in the hot sun to keep my solar panel charged.
Rtech foam insulation is fairly cheap at home depot at about 8 dollars for 4 x 8 foot section, the thicker the foam the more expensive, I used the the thinner foam but on the windows I use the thicker foam. the thin foam is easy to cut with normal scissors.
My opinion is that foam insulation is the only thing that will work.
Without the foam insulation I couldnt spend more than 30 minutes in the van even with the swamp cooler running. The oem roofliner/insulation just doesnt cut it in hot weather. My installation isnt very neat but if I wanted I could put other materials under the foam to make it more professional. anything is possible with enough time and effort.
The foam insulation also keeps you warm in the winter.

picture of rtech foam on roof work in progress, as you can see all exposed metal has to have foam glued to it. The 2 wires are from the solar panel.

picture of oem insulation, this is the fwd section, I havent removed yet, oem insulation isnt glued to roof, I notice a gap between it and metal roof. Lot of heat comes through this area.

picture of swamp cooler, this is the newest model I built holds over 2 gallons of water and has a large 9 inch radiator electric fan. Uses 4 amps of power on high speed.
Attached Thumbnails
rtech foam a.jpg   oem insulation a.jpg   swamp cooler a.jpg  
jony101 is offline   Reply With Quote