Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #11

Re: Synthetic rope winches

Is there something more to the color of the rope than color? Is it universal across winch rope or manufacturer specific?

Old 12-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Is there something more to the color of the rope than color? Is it universal across winch rope or manufacturer specific?
I had a choice of orange, blue and black with the rope I wanted. Not that the orange matches anything on my Bronco, but I chose it for maximum visibility so people wouldn't step on it or trip over it.

Herb
Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Btw I asked Thor about heat, he didn't seem to think it was an issue providing I was sensible with the winch.
Which winch are you running? Was it the Warn M12000 by chance? That would still be my first choice if heat isn't really an issue with that winch paired with a synthetic rope.

I talked to Kenney at Aluminess about mounting the Superwinch and he seems to think I'll need to do a remote mount on the solenoid due to the height. Not a real big deal but I wouldn't need to do that extra step with the Warn.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #14

Yes M12000, he didn't say heat wasn't an issue, he just said don't run it out using the motor etc.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #15

I have the Warn M12000 and bought my rope from Thor. They spliced some high-heat rope to the first 25 feet or so IIRC.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
I have the Warn M12000 and bought my rope from Thor. They spliced some high-heat rope to the first 25 feet or so IIRC.

steve
I asked about that, because I saw a post from you or someone else, he thought it wasn't needed.....
(personally I would have liked it, he didn't really offer it when I asked...)

Old 12-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #17

Sounds like I need to talk to Thor.

Another bit of confusion here about mounting the winches. Today Kenny said the max height of a winch that would fit in the box is 10". Warn lists the height of the M1200 at 11". For those of you running the M1200 did the unit fit in without hassle? The Superwinch 12.5 SR is listed at 10.95". If the M12000 fits the Superwinch 12.5 should fit too.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Sounds like I need to talk to Thor.

Another bit of confusion here about mounting the winches. Today Kenny said the max height of a winch that would fit in the box is 10". Warn lists the height of the M1200 at 11". For those of you running the M1200 did the unit fit in without hassle? The Superwinch 12.5 SR is listed at 10.95". If the M12000 fits the Superwinch 12.5 should fit too.
I would not assume that. Kenny has a specific set of mounting instructions for the M12000 --- I asked him today and he said I could post them, I just need to download the photos of my installation steps (oh and finish the installation, it was pouring today --- though the winch is bolted in)

The solenoid box is rotated on the M12000 so it fits under the lid, barely. I wouldn't assume you could make the same changes -- I'd definitely ask Kenny if they have put a SW in.

There are 4 steps to modifying the M12000 to fit in:
- rotating the gearbox
- rotating the motor
- rotating the solenoid box
- moving one of the cross braces

Also to the prior discussion about foot vs front mounted, I am now inclined to agree with Aluminess, now that I see how the winch ties into the bumper construction.

I'll try and get the pics/doc up tomorrow.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #19

There are pictures on the forum of a Superwinch 14.0 that is mounted in an Aluminess bumper. The 12.5 is a little smaller than the 14.0. Zeta did the install and shows pictures of a remote mounted solanoid. The Superwinch 14.0 uses 8 bolts on a foot down mount. I wonder what other hassles and or hurdles were overcome on that install?

I'd link to that post but I don't have a clue how to do that. I found it using the search word "Superwinch"

It sounds like I have a few phone conversations to deal with before I pull the trigger on a winch purchase.

Thanks for the imput. I'd hate to buy a winch and find out it won't fit in the bumper I don't have yet. I sure hope the lights I bought but don't have yet fit on the bumper I don't have yet.

It's a good thing I don't have any of this stuff yet. It finally started raining up here in the PNW. I'm breaking out the catboat for some quality river time this weekend. No knuckle busting install for me.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:08 AM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

As far as fitment goes, I have a warn powerplant mounted in my Aluminess bumper, as we know, it sticks up past the top of the box opening, I had a local shop fab up a new steel cover plate that fits over the winch. We painted it flat black and swapped over the original lock to the new lid. I don't feel this new "hump" interferes with airflow, especially with my billet grill. I'll try to get a pic up. Just wanted to share this option of installing winches that may not "fit". As we all know, there is always a way to make something work.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote