Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #1

Carr steps, suggestions?

I am considering Carr steps for our Ford E350. For the driver, passenger and barn side doors (3 in total). Looking for input/experience regarding the following.

1. Would you get the 10 or 20 inch wide steps?
2. I have seen several people write about using removable D-ring pins instead of bolting the steps to the brackets. This should allow for easy removal in terrain where you need the clearance. What is your experience with removable pins?

Thank you!

Marcel

Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #2

Sounds like they would be pretty weak and wobbly with pins. I installed a set and wasn't all that thrilled with the rigidity even after adding extra bolts/screws.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Thanks! Did you add extra bolts to attach
1. bracket to van body?
2. Or to attach step to bracket?
Old 10-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Huijser View Post
I am considering Carr steps for our Ford E350. For the driver, passenger and barn side doors (3 in total). Looking for input/experience regarding the following.

1. Would you get the 10 or 20 inch wide steps?
2. I have seen several people write about using removable D-ring pins instead of bolting the steps to the brackets. This should allow for easy removal in terrain where you need the clearance. What is your experience with removable pins?

Thank you!

Marcel
When I bought my van it originally had three of the 20 inch wide steps, driver, passenger and barn doors. I managed to break the barn door one on a rock. Should have had a spotter for that narrow passage The first thing I found is that they only sell them in pairs. So to reduce cost I swapped the driver and passenger down to the 10 inch wide steps and replaced the barn door step with one of the take offs leaving me a spare 20 incher. The 10 in steps are fine for driver and passenger but I don't think i'd want to use one for the barn door. Mine are permanently mounted. If concerned about ripping them always use a spotter in narrow transits to reduce possible damage.
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #5

Thanks Chris/Bev!
Old 10-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #6

Garage
I have three of the 20" Carr steps on my rig. I like the 20s. They are comfortable to use. Personally, I would be fine with 10s, but I know where everything is, so I don't make missteps.

I've noticed that when other folks climb into my rig, it feels awkward to them--and even more so coming out. They use all 20" of those steps for safe navigation to the ground. The 20s are easier all around, and I suspect they have prevented more than one slip and face plant. No downside, and a lot of upside. For me, the 20s are well worth it.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:37 PM   #7

I'm a big fan of the 20's as well. Got them underneath both front doors (we use use hot tub steps for the barn doors for an old dog). Bought mine from Jsweezy a while back and painted them black. The one on the drivers side is not exactly properly placed though - I had to move it more forward than I like because of the Starcool auxiliary condenser. Otherwise, the big ones are great.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #8

Thank you Silver Streak and Greg & Francesca!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #9

Could just be the way mine are mounted but they are kid of worthless, especially at the cargo doors. They're tucked pretty far under the van so you kind of have to climb out almost like decending a ladder, facing the van. But I have to admit, they are a simple and affordable solution.
kccourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #10

Thanks kccourtney!

Tags
access, carr, climb, step, steps