Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #1

E350 Cruise Contol swap

Hi... Does anyone on here have experience w/swapping in a cruise control unit? ... I've searched here and elsewhere a lot.

I have sourced new parts to do this. I've found a rig out of state... from what I've read it's plug and play w/the new steering wheel, buttons, etc.

The airbag is the part that I have no experience with... Is there a capacitor wired into it?

I would like to install it myself and drive it home, after a test ride of course.

Would be a lot easier to drive for 3 days if my foot wasn't on the pedal, ya know?

StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

Airbag system does have a capacitor. You have to pull the battery terminal (both if you have duals!) and wait. Some cars spec 10 min. Some spec up to an hour. I don't remember the discharge time on the vans.

Are you doing this on a throttle-by-wire van? Make sure you match systems. Putting a cable-drive setup on a throttle-by-wire van won't work. The cable-to-pedal setups are really hokey and possibly dangerous (could cause a stuck throttle if anything binds). Throttle by wire setups don't use any cables but require dealer programming unless you know another shop with Ford IDS.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Thanks for your response All the parts are OEM for a 2002 diesel E350... So deal w/the airbag and its plug and play from what I've read.

To be honest I haven't had to take the 2nd battery out of the box - which I gather that's what needs to happen to disconnect the hot terminal, right?
Old 09-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #4

Yeah, you'll have to drop the frame battery box. Good idea to clean it from time to time anyways.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #5

I can't offer install specifics yet, but I pulled the steering wheel, clock spring (I believe that's what you call the coiled up wire), and wiring yesterday from a pick n pull. I read that the wiring is not fully populated on non cruise vans, so was recommended to pull all wires from steering wheel down to where they plug in to a harness midway down the steering column. The airbag was previously discharged on the donor van, so didn't have problems there. My van and the donor are 2006. Post here if you make progress on the install and I'll do the same!
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Throttle by wire setups don't use any cables but require dealer programming unless you know another shop with Ford IDS.
Are you aware of any local 4x4 van connoisseurs in the area who would do this, or do you think the local dealer is my best bet?
Old 09-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatvan View Post
Are you aware of any local 4x4 van connoisseurs in the area who would do this, or do you think the local dealer is my best bet?
MG MetalWorks!
Old 09-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #8

FYI: This shows what I pulled.
Attached Thumbnails
tmp_18112-20160906_123428~2-1241965399.jpg  
Old 09-09-2016, 03:41 AM   #9

Yeah - I'm flying in and doing this in a parking lot at an autoparts store... not sure if I will have time to take pics and post...

My intent was to gather info before I fly in, get to the van, inspect it, get an independent inspection, install the parts and start driving off...

Even if anyone knows where there is a link to a video about dealing with the 2nd battery and box that would help...
Attached Thumbnails
20160822_153329.jpg