Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 03:56 AM   #11

Wow, there really is a lot of room underneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
I've got air compressor with tank, air horn, 45 gallon transfer flow fuel tank, under floor storage, 4D house battery, 2-engine batteries, and flat plate hot water all underneath.
...though I am sure that clever packaging can help make best use of it.

I must admit, so many of the rigs here are so fully outfitted, that with the budget I am planning (approx. 5k + the vehicle for this, my first van), mine is likely to be embarrassingly spartan by comparison.

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rex View Post
... mine is likely to be embarrassingly spartan by comparison.
psh, no worries and no need to be embarrassed. most are luxury items anyway. just do what you can within your means and get out and enjoy it!

we can overland without any issue in our civic wagon, its just not as well equipped with the creature comforts. hell, weve had great camping experiences camping out of a crx. point is, keeping up the the jones here on this forum is not an easy task. this isn't a competition to outfit, its a community to help get you outfitted with what you have access to
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
this isn't a competition to outfit, its a community to help get you outfitted with what you have access to
I appreciate the kind sentiments.. though many of the rigs can be pretty spectacular, I appreciate the groundedness of the folks here. People are remarkably free of petty competitive elitism.

Even with a (relatively) simple rig, there is still a lot of planning and work that will go into it, and this place is a treasure trove of information, as well as a community of helpful and friendly people.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage
I probably missed something.
Attached Thumbnails
van2.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rex View Post

I must admit, so many of the rigs here are so fully outfitted, that with the budget I am planning (approx. 5k + the vehicle for this, my first van), mine is likely to be embarrassingly spartan by comparison.
I was just like you this time last year. I thought I could do a whole build for $10k-$12k including the cost of the van. Haha that was many thousands of dollars ago. But it is definitely possible it all just depends on your needs and if you are building with any consideration for resale value. I'm building a van for 2 and we will live in it full time for a year, then sell it and move onto another adventure.
To stay on topic, I'm soon approaching the under van utility part of my build. At first I planned on water and propane outside and batteries inside. But my batteries are flooded and need to be vented, and I was concerned about my water tank freezing(we are driving to alaska) so the batteries are going outside and the water tank coming inside. As much as I would like to install on board propane underneath,it's very expensive and I've got a good spot for a standard tank inside right near the door. If you keep propane in the van make sure you have it securely strapped down, a propane/CO alarm, and practice your emergency toss the propane tank out the van procedure.
Flakwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #16

Are you leaving the tank out in the open, or building a sealed and vented box for it?

Something like this, that allows 'heavier than air' propane to flow out, and fresh air to 'backfill' what flows out of the box. If the intake comes in high in the box, propane will not compete and try to flow out the intake pipe. (Pardon the crude sketch, but hopefully this helps demonstrate the general idea.)

Old 01-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #17

The propane tank will secured with straps to the corner of my cabinets (visibly out in the open). I should note that it will be off and will not be hooked up to anything. All my appliances (buddy heater, camp stove) are designed for use with the throw away 1lb propane tanks. However there is a cheap adapter available that allows you to refill your used 1lb tanks with a standard tank. I haven't tested it yet but I think this will be a cheap/effective solution for me. Refills will be done outside for saftey.
Flakwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #18

Refilling the 1 lb adapters

I started refilling 16 oz cylinders a number of years ago, but found some liabilities. The cylinders only fill about 2/3 to 3/4. Chilling before filling them maximizes how much propane they will accept, but you will never get a complete fill.

I could deal with the incomplete fill, but the real problem was that I found the recycled cylinders to be very prone to leaking. The valves are really only designed for one time use. If there were a shut-off valve that would screw on like a collar, that would help, but having a half dozen cylinders on hand would require a half dozen of these valves (if they even exist).

The 20 lb cylinders are so cheap, and so common. If you are out on the road, a fill / replacement is easy. I only wish they did not take so much interior room, and I still do not know how safe they are inside (even with precautions).

Old 01-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #19

I've had a 20lb propane tank in my van since I bought it 2 years ago and not a single problem.
I have it mounted with ratchet straps, with a 2x4 cage and covered with 3/4 wood and a hinged top. Vented high and low, I've never smelt any other than when disconnecting the hose...
I feel very confident and comfortable with my system.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #20

As long as we're talking about stuff under the van, I'd love to see some examples of storage spaces underneath (besides the standard rear underfloor storage box). I have an EB van and have been eyeing up those empty spaces behind both rear wheels. I remember @86Scotty built some open racks on one of his vans, and I see @DaveB has "waterproof storage" noted in his floor sketch. I'd be looking to store things like small propane canisters, leveling blocks, etc. Any ideas for how to do this without welding would be great.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, frame, undercarriage