Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #1

Garage
conflicting answers about doing a tranny flush.

i am getting conflicting answers about whether or not to hook my tranny up to a pump and doing complete trasmission flush. got people on both sides of the fence that i trust and value thier opinions, so im kinda at a loss and looking to this group for advice and any past experiences your all willing to provide.

the rig is a 03 7.3 w/150k on the odometer. a search only yeilded me a few pages of people talking about flushing thier tranny, but not much else.

one side is telling me that doing a full flush is absolutly a priority and that nothing bad can come from doing so.

the other side is saying that when you flush a high miliage tranny without prior history of it being done in regular intervals in the past that you take a risk of knocking all the shit that has settled in all the knooks and crannys loose and back into the system and guarantee that when doing so, that in its self will mess up your tranny, which has actually happened to me in the past with a honda car. this group tells me that 90% of the time when they do flushes on the high milers that the trannys start acting up soon after, shifting weird, slipping, and eventually die within a 4-6 months and end up needing rebuilt. same exact deal that happened with my integra...the only other auto tranny ive ever owned. this group is telling me its not specific to fords, but just in general.

my tranny isnt acting up in the least bit, but after a hard 4 day weekend in wyoming making 30+ trips up and down the teton pass with anywhere from 10-13 people per trip and a 300 mile trip there and back with 9 passengers a couple of weeks ago, i checked the fluid and it has a bit of a burnt smell. so its time to at least change the filter and fluid. ive contacted the prior owners (a company), trying to obtain prior service records, but they will not return any of my calls.

id also be interested to hear what, if any, special fluids you use, what to stay away from etc. what intervals...basically any insight would be appreciated, tia!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote