Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Rebuilt steering box or New? [for V10 2011 Quigley/Agile RIP/ OEM wheels]
Rebuilt steering box? 1 33.33%
New steering box? 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Is your Quigely front end leaf-spring? (I'm assuming so....?)...
MtBR- Coil springs in front, leafs in back.

So: NO But your method sounds solid.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #32

Garage
Custom adjustable arms can be made for the Quigley setup. Agile used to offer them but have stopped making them or they made a demo and didn’t continue or something of that nature, either way you can no longer get them from agile. when I talked with john he gave me the ins and outs of having a local shop make them for me but I don’t want to say online that he will have the time to rerun through everything as he’s got way more busy since.

If the 4x4 shop your using fabricates suspension then they should be able to make them for you. The shop local to me said they could make them for me for around a grand give or take of course. Keep in mind custom work is rarely ever “give” lol. Well other than giving more money...

Btw, which Quigley arms does your rig have? The tubular or the open u shaped ones? If you can’t answer that a quick pic of your arms and we can answer that for you.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #33

So, you said the outcome of the Redhead was that the steering now behaves. Could you elaborate a bit on that? I plan to pick one up this week, but probably won't get around to installing it right away as I'll be on the road. As I mentioned before, one steering stabilizer is normally adequate unless there are other underlying problems. Is your main concern that the van wanders? I'm fighting the same thing. How much caster do you currently have? Adding caster (shims under my leaf springs) and a new Fox damper helped mine, but it's still there. For coil springs, Ramsey (AOR) did make a set of custom adjustable arms and installed them on Rob's (Rally PA) van. There pretty simple, just a couple threaded Johny joints on the end of a piece of heavy tubing. You would have to ask him if there was much improvement though. Other things that can affect the issue can include worn spring bushings in the rear, worn ball joints or tie rod ends, and the tires themselves. In my case, tire pressure makes a large difference in how it drives, (even as little as 10psi). With my Duratracs, the higher the pressure, the better the steering, right up to a full 80psi. Unfortunately, running higher pressures makes the ride pretty harsh, so I'm considering replacing the tires, but I'm interested in hearing how the new steering box affected your steering.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #34

Results of work

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Btw, which Quigley arms does your rig have? The tubular or the open u shaped ones? If you can’t answer that a quick pic of your arms and we can answer that for you.
SHENRIE thanks for that info on the suspension fab. The shop I used DID do fab but I get the impression he would just as soon spec components now... Up side of that is that he has told me that If I order something, they will install it. Since Im prone to doing my homework.

Yeah life gets busy and that cuts into fab work. My son and his friend have the skills to fab that but being both young fathers and working full time it is difficult to get their time redirected back to 4WD. Talented young men.

[QUOTE=arctictraveller;234884]So, you said the outcome of the Redhead was that the steering now behaves. Could you elaborate a bit on that? /QUOTE]

AT: As far as how the steering behaves, imagine this Before: Running over rough surfaces caused me to involuntarily shout out God Bless America while my arms bounced off the steering wheel in a manner not unlike Olive Oil's arms:

https://tenor.com/view/olive-gif-10016300

Now I can glide over rough patches in near calm- although its all relative especially in a 4wd van, right? A vote of approval from me for the Redhead Steering Gear Box, plus excellent service from Redhead including quick and full refund for my core deposit- which the shop sent back for me. I didnt even have to break a nail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Is your main concern that the van wanders? I'm fighting the same thing. How much caster do you currently have?
Yes WANDERS. On the way home from Ohio the other night I noted that on a Left hand curve, things feel solid. On a right hand curve (or say, switching lanes to the inside/right lane it seems necessary to fight a bit to maintain the curve.

I did not receive an alignment report with this alignment so I cannot give specs on how much caster I currently have.

Quote:
Other things that can affect the issue can include worn spring bushings in the rear, worn ball joints or tie rod ends, and the tires themselves. In my case, tire pressure makes a large difference in how it drives, (even as little as 10psi). With my Duratracs, the higher the pressure, the better the steering, right up to a full 80psi. Unfortunately, running higher pressures makes the ride pretty harsh, so I'm considering replacing the tires, but I'm interested in hearing how the new steering box affected your steering.
Yes, I have rather stiff tires (the elsewhere ill-reviewed Toyo AT Open-Country, which I have been happy with). Running lower PSI does help for sure.

Probably have a year left on them tho mechanic suggested different tires. Also he kept mentioning that he thought that the AOR RIP shocks are a bit stiff.

Otherwise- All other suspension items have been gone over by two different shops with good reporting. **EXCEPT the rear spring bushings! Hmm I have leafs in back- so...this does not apply? Or does it? **

Shop owner says control arms show wear tho not to point of needing work. When I asked why should I need a steering box at 80 K miles his reply was that although he likes the Quigley system that a van chasis is not really made to run on a lift such as I haVE and and thats likely contributed to gear box breakdown- esp in light of the non-adjustable control arms.

I asked for a moderate tire suggestion and he said Mickey;s which got him a big scolding from me. I'm not made of money! From what he says his typical customer comes in with Very Large Truck and asks for Very Expensive Mods with few budget limitations. I do plan to buy an Aluminess rear tire mount tho so tire purchase inevitable.

Otherwise Not sure who all his 4x4 clients are except hes near Marysville and Honda plant = good wages. In WV they would be pipeliners- plus plenty of diesels there which keep the good local diesel shops way too busy for little ol lady customers to get a word in. Thus my V10 purchase.

Unfortunately she has a less than appealing ride on a long trip which is too bad since I was planning to drive West next year, perhaps South this winter. Having second thoughts now. But I still dearly love HellBetty!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #35

Yes, worn rear spring bushings on your leaf sprung rear end will contribute to steering issues. They should be fairly inexpensive to have replaced.
Advanced 4wd
Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #36

just an update- even tho it involves nominating myself for a Bonehead Award....
I was able to improve ride quality VASTLY by reducing air pressure a good 10+ PSI.
Thanks for the reminder MG!
Attached Thumbnails
pebbles front1_large.jpg  
Old 09-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #37

Yup, air pressure can make a big difference in ride quality, and in my case affects steering too. Just make sure you have enough pressure for the weight of the van. Since I have a new Redhead steering box on my bench, that's my next attempt to tame the steering.
Advanced 4wd
Old 09-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Yup, air pressure can make a big difference in ride quality, and in my case affects steering too. Just make sure you have enough pressure for the weight of the van. Since I have a new Redhead steering box on my bench, that's my next attempt to tame the steering.
git 'r' done, Arctic! Glad you have acquired one. I canrt remember if you have SS (steering stabilizer) but shop owner said he wnted to address steering right by adding that (dual). MG recommenced dual SS also but I know many here use the single Fox SS.

Also I need to talk to local shop about the following ways to address suspension stability... helpful suggestions from ya'll which Im listing as much for me to organize before visiting my shop as to post for others' reading:

Quote:
... worn rear spring bushings on your leaf sprung rear end will contribute to steering issues. They should be fairly inexpensive to have replaced.
Also, MG pm'd this info to me;
My first suggestion was going to be talking to Agile about their RIP kit. Since you're already there...my second suggestion was going to be a dual steering stabilizer. Since you're already there again, I'd go with adding another couple degrees of caster. If you can't do this with the control arms, it can be done with ball joint bushings that are offset. Not the ideal way to do it but they do work.

LOVE this forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
...Btw, which Quigley arms does your rig have? The tubular or the open u shaped ones? If you can’t answer that a quick pic of your arms and we can answer that for you.
SHENRIE Im not sure what you were askig to see - control arms? (Keep in mind my knowledge level on suspension is approximately pea-sized so I'll need to look it up)
Old 09-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #39

Garage
^^^ the 4 arms that attach the front axle to the frame. there’s at least 2 versions ive seen. a tubular version and another that im not sure how to describe. it’s 3 sided and open on the bottom. I was told by ramsey way back to add that fourth side and box them in as they were prone to crack. I suspect that part of my steering sloppiness is those unboxed arms flexing around.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #40

Perhaps RPA will chime in and let you know how the prototype tubular arms that Ramsey built worked to tame the suspension. Then again, very little seems to bother him on the road, hell, he once set his brakes on fire on his Dakar support truck and barely raised an eyebrow.
Advanced 4wd