Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #1

Heater Craft

Has anyone tried one of these? They look pretty cool and affordable, I havent dont much research on them yet. But looks like a serious option.

Off Road & Automotive Heaters

PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #2

So if I'm not mistaken those all connect to your radiator hoses so the only way they work is if the engine is running. Kinda like the heater in my ski boat. Are you looking for rear heater or a cabin heater for camping?
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #3

Rob,

I think you are right. The heater would be for camping.
PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #4

Robert is most definitely right. These are really for tractors and things that didn't come with a heater, used while engine running only.

Propex
Planar
Espar
old school propane RV heater
Webasto
small wood stove (nope, not kidding. I'd love to do this)

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post

Dickinson marine wood stove uses pressed log, charcoal, wood, or coal:

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/n...d-fuel-heater/

Sardine model from another shop:

http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm

Both need combustion air.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 02-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #6

Garage
^^^ that sardine setup would be perfect inside a van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I really would too. ive dabbed with installing something like Pntyrmvr posted, I just cant decide where I would be cutting the chimney hole...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #7

Not sure about all your vans, but floor space is minimal in mine. No idea where a potbelly stove would fit.

I really like the Dickinson heaters and have been looking for a used propane one for my off grid cabin. They work great it boats.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
Not sure about all your vans, but floor space is minimal in mine. No idea where a potbelly stove would fit.

I really like the Dickinson heaters and have been looking for a used propane one for my off grid cabin. They work great it boats.
You don't need floor space, counter space works fine. I've looked at a lot of these setups in boats, VW vans, Sprinters, etc. Just a 1x1' spot on the corner of a counter, properly insulated, will work.

I' think the best place would be a in the 40 (rear) side door. Pull it out when it's not winter. I think the bigger challenge would be a chimney/roof vent that doesn't look completely ghetto because it would probably stay year round. You can get away with this on a Sprinter or high top with rack a lot easier than a regular van of course.

Sorry OP, back to your Heater Craft discussion........
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #9

Boats have flush mount pop up chimney caps that barely protrude through the deck. Use one with a propane unit with the flexible exhaust pipe.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 02-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWVAN View Post
Has anyone tried one of these? They look pretty cool and affordable, I havent dont much research on them yet. But looks like a serious option.

Off Road & Automotive Heaters
The answer is no. But, I did run across them as well. How do you plan to pass hot coolant through the heater?

I'm putting together a hot water and heater system using a similar heater. Rather than tie it into the van's coolant system it will be a separate closed loop system incorporating an Espar D5, 2.5 gal coolant tank, REAL hydronic fan heater (like the Craft heater), 3 gal heat exchanger/hot water tank and a coolant reservoir/expansion tank.

Firing up the Espar D5 will provide hot water and cabin heat when needed without relying on running the van's engine. Tying the system into the van's coolant system would only lead to a much longer wait time for hot water and heat with the extra coolant volume and heat sink the engine block creates. Plus, I don't feel a need to preheat the engine coolant.

The 2.5 gal coolant tank (actually an air tank) is mounted on the frame rail while all other components will be inside the van. Ball valves will allow the hydronic heater to be cut out of the system when no cabin heat is wanted throughout the summer. The coolant res/expansion tank will be at the highest point in the system allowing for any air to escape and provide a way to fill the system with coolant aside from coolant expansion of course.

That's the theory on my hot water and heat system anyway! All components are in my basement waiting for install...
Anybody see any issues with this?

Here are the components I'm tying together for this system:
Espar D5

REAL Heat hydronic fan heater
REAL Heat 6400SS 19,250 Btu Marine Hydronic Fan Heater

Whale 3 Gal water heater/heat exchanger
Whale Seaward S300W Marine Boat Water Heater 3 Gal Heat Exchange/120V Aluminum | eBay

Viair 2.5 Gal tank
https://www.amazon.com/Viair-91028-2...air+2.5+Gallon

Coolant reservoir/expansion tank
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
AirTank1.jpg   Water Heater.jpg   hydronic fan heater.jpg   coolant res.jpg  

Tags
heater