Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #11

Second that one, great reference. Comparing Dometic, U-Line, Norcold, Novacool, Vitrifrigo, Isotherm and Tundra

Here's the image of the page for easy reference of comparing fridge sizes, or if for some reason that page goes away.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #12

Garage
Okay, I scored a Norcold NR751BB. About $720 from PPL Motorhomes in TX. Looks like Norcold Warehouse must be in Ontario, CA (California not Canada). That is about an hours drive for me from the San Fernando Valley. Anyway, I Ordered it yesterday afternoon through Amazon, and it was delivered today. Same cutout size as the DC-0051 that was in there before, but a much tighter fit.

The two large L-brackets that hold the vertical cabinet members to the floor, on either side of the refer opening, create too much of an obstruction to let it slide in easily. It looks like I might have to move one or both of the brackets to the other side of the vertical piece.

Here is an old pic of the old refer and the brackets.

That would put one in the cubby for the porta-pottie on the left of the pic in the first post of this thread. If that does not do it, I may move the other outside of the cabinet, bolting the vertical right behind the drivers seat.

It was already dark outside when I started this project, but it looks like these bolt through the van floor underneath the van, but above the propane tank (wouldn't you know it). I am not sure cause I don't wanna be rolling around on the driveway in the dark tonight, figuring this out. I have some archery practice in the morning, but I hope to get back to it in the afternoon tomorrow.

My questions are these:
1. Has anyone moved, removed or reinstalled these brackets before?
Are there any tricks or things to be aware of?

2. I assume they go through the floor, as I can see a big, thick fender washer in the approximate location of the suspect bolt and bracket. Is that so?

3. Also, any big headache dropping the propane tank, since everything I need to touch is right above it in my plan?

Thanks!
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #13

Garage
Okay, I have finally gotten around to getting the Refer into the Van.

Peter Del Toro responded to my email to him about the solution that SMB West has to the same issue. I am glad I waited to do this until I had heard from him. He is very knowledgeable and understands just about every practical dilemma that the company comes across. Consequently, he is super busy and it can take a bit of time to get a hold of him.

Anyway, Peter's solution was way simpler and much more elegant.

I did not realize that the area of conflict between the L-brackets and the refrigerator was really a plastic spacer attached to the bottom of the refer.

It looks like this when on its back.

Peter said all you really have to do is move the spacer in 2" and that you might have to reverse the elevator bolts on the side walls of the cabinet at the L-bracket. To keep it as strong as possible, I decided to move just the bottom screw of the spacer enough that I would have the 2" gap at the point where the refer spacer would contact the bracket.

That looks like this.

Close-up

Then I took the L-brackets that started like this.

I reversed the elevator bolts so that the side with the nut that sticks out longer, would be on the other side of the panel.

Inside the Porta Pottie cabinet, before.

After

Finished install
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #14

Nice work George, and a creative fix.

That's cool.

Heheheh.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:50 AM   #15

Garage
Plus 1. Nicely done and looks great.