Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 11:08 PM   #21

Ahhh I had been too focused on somehow replacing the base i didn’t even consider putting a swivel instead on top of the pedestal. The eBay swivels for $95 might just be worth buying a single and trying it out. I have not looked at how the seat mounts to the pedestal, but will have to take a closer look. Stay tuned. Thanks for the idea!

ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #22

Ok I took the pedestal and seat apart tonight to figure out the bolt patterns more exactly. Here's what I found (photos attached)

SLIDE RAILS TO PEDESTAL
13-1/8” front to back,
15.5” side to side

SLIDE RAILS TO SEAT
Front: 15-3/8”
Rear: 12-5/8”
Front to back: 12-5/8”

I guess you could put the swivel either on top or below the slide rails right? Trying to think if there's a good reason to do one vs the other.

I looked at the K&M one on eBay more closely via Northern Tool's site (vendor who is selling it on eBay) and saw that in the Q&A's they say it should only be used on a slow moving vehicle like a tractor and it is not DOT approved, bummer!

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7875_200487875

This shop4seats has quite a few in the $180-200 range for various applications that are DOT approved, but none quite fit that bolt pattern

2007-2013 Sprinter Swivel Base For After Market Seats - Sprinter Van Bases - Van Seat Bases - VAN SEATS

For almost $300 this site will make you a custom bolt pattern one that is DOT approved.

Van Seat Bases,universal van seat bases,driver,passenger

I'm probably going to end up buying one of the DOT approved ones, I don't think I should probably skimp on my children's safety! Plus they're made in Going to call the last link tomorrow and see if that bolt pattern can be done. If so I will probably go that route, those "simple" custom bracket jobs always seem to end up taking me half a saturday that could be better spent elsewhere. I'll keep you all posted once I get my order in and attempt the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 9.36.26 PM.jpg  
Old 05-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #23

Are the slide studs dimensions/spread the same as the front seats? If so, then we are back to the swivels I have. Also, of course, have to think of the angle of the seat itself. Thoughts??
Old 05-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Are the slide studs dimensions/spread the same as the front seats? If so, then we are back to the swivels I have. Also, of course, have to think of the angle of the seat itself. Thoughts??
Looks like the front passenger seat is different than the 2nd row seats:

PEDESTAL TO SLIDE STUDS
14.25” side to side
11.75” front to back

PEDESTAL TO FLOOR STUDS
11” side
13.5” front to back

Based on the drawing you sent your base matches up with the front seat of course, but would require modification for the 2nd row. Is there enough room on the top and bottom of that swivel pedestal to drill holes that match up with the existing 2nd row floor studs and slide rail to pedestal studs? I'd have to give up the quick release but if that's my only option I'd rather be able to swivel than to have quick release. As for seat angle seems like that could be resolved with longer studs and spacers maybe? Although I'm not sure the studs on the rails are removable... they kinda look like they're not.

FYI discountvantruck.com emailed me this morning and said they won't make a swivel for factory seats. So I guess I just need to call and say they're aftermarket seats and see if they'll make a swivel plate. Keeping quick release would be nice if it's possible.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #25

After talking to 1der today for a bit I decided I'm going to get one of the SMB style swivels from him (He's doing a group buy pretty soon) and see if I can make it work for the 2nd row. If not, I know it will work for my front passenger seat so no harm done. I also ordered one of these swivel plates to see if I can make it work between the pedestal and seat somehow

2007-2013 Sprinter Swivel Base For After Market Seats

this looks like it should have enough room on the top and bottom plate to drill holes where they need to be for the 2nd row seats. Decided I'm willing to take that gamble. If it works, I'll order another one for the other 2nd row seat. If it doesn't, I'll order 2 more of 1der's SMB swivels.

Tags
2nd row, e350, ford, swivel seat