Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2022, 04:59 PM   #1

1996 Dodge SMB: Stolen, Insurance, Storage, Mechanics, etc.

Hey all,

Looking for some insight, advice, anecdotes, and commiseration today

A month ago my 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 SMB was stolen in San Francisco. It was recovered a couple weeks later in all around weird shape... generator ripped out, some random interior lights ripped out, fridge (and all personal items) taken out, decals removed and "custom" paint job.... you get the idea. Ignition obviously torn up, main battery is dead, serpentine belt dangling loose... obviously it won't start. More details to come, but that was just my quick once over -- it's still at the shop that estimated it to the point of insurance totaling it out.

Looking for a number of suggestions and thoughts...
-Good SF / Bay Area mechanics that could properly evaluate it's mechanical condition (the shop I agreed to use w/ insurance was not at all helpful for this)
-Leads on places to potentially store it in the area as I will likely buy it back
-Any thoughts on potential value for selling it in its current state (the ol' "mechanics special" pricing)
-Any experience selling SMBs or nonfunctioning vehicles at auction
-Any experiences negotiating with insurance on value, especially for people who were lazy like me and didn't settle on value/modifications upfront (yeah yeah I know, but it's not like it's a 150k 4x4 Ford)
-Any appraisers in the area that could help with a third party evaluation to negotiate with insurance

Sad to say this is probably the end of my SMB time for awhile... it's rough out there :P

More details, photos, etc. to come once I'm able to get some (hopefully tomorrow)

Thanks in advance -- this community rocks

crholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:32 PM   #2

Garage
Sad, very sorry to hear and wish you the best going forward. Unfortunately I can’t help with answers.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:39 PM   #3

Negotiating with the insurance company

I've done alright on this in the past, I have a friend in the business who has shared some tips with me, here's some tips;

Know this in advance; Insurance claims adjusters are lazy (or overworked, take your pick) and look for the easy way out. If you dig your heels in, and maintain the adjuster should 'do his/her job', you aren't wrong, but you will come out worse off. Work with the adjuster, they aren't the enemy (although their first offer may seem like it). In the end, it's just business.

Insurance companies don't like to repair older vehicles; once the shop 'digs in' there are too many opportunities to uncover hidden damage, mixed with 'the repairs didn't go as planned' that can bleed the company on your claim.

1) Write a description of your pre-stolen van as though you were selling it the day before it was stolen. List additions, mileage, amenities, maintenance and repairs within the past 12 months that hopefully you have receipts (they will usually add 50% of the last 12 mos repairs onto your settlement without much debate). There's no detail too small. No BS exaggerations, but a fair representation. Include a defensible price estimate, given todays typical values. Don't oversell, but don't undersell either. Do your market research as though you are shopping for a replacement camper van.

The adjuster's supervisor must sign off, so the adjuster is 'building a case' so to speak. Help him or her build that case, a strong one, as you will maximize your return.

2) Find comparables with ads w/screen shots, even if some are Fords. Point out that SMB is a premium brand of upfitter, top of the line Lance vs bargin Six-Pac brand, to use a cab over camper comparison analogy

3) Do not tip your hand that 'you're done' with campers. Maintain that your goal is to have your insurance either repair this one to its pre-theft state, or if they total it, your plan is to buy another just like it to replace it, because you love it so.

4) The adjuster's supervisor must sign off, so the adjuster is 'building a case' so to speak. Help him or her build that case, and you will maximize your return

5) Come out swiggin', documentation and comps, description of your beloved creampuff, your first engagement is your best chance to plead your case for your camper's pre-theft value. The adjuster will want to wrap this up with as little of their time invested as possible, will wear you down with the calendar. Claims adjusters are measured by metrics; lowest payouts, close X amount claims per week or month.

6) Know going in that you will likely be inconvenienced, do some work, and may never get 100% compensation. It's a negotiation, where you want to maximize the money you recoup, they'd like to limit what they pay out. It helps if you have several vehicles insured with them, and are a long time customer

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2022, 08:10 PM   #4

Thanks marret, TomsBeast for the kind words and advice!

Attaching an album of photos below. If anyone is looking for a new project let me know! :P

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oBBsg15BG5EGpypm7
Old 06-16-2022, 08:24 PM   #5

Wow, always bummed to read of these thefts. Horrible.
So sorry.

Are the pics in the album from after recovery?
Old 06-17-2022, 12:15 AM   #6

Yep all the pics were from after the recovery, I'll have to put together another album in homage to its past self. It was certainly a 26 year old van but things were largely in good shape before. After a good clean and a few small things the interior should still be pretty good and usable I think. The mechanical work needed is a bit unknown outside of the radiator and ignition.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #7

I‘ve used Bob‘s Almaden Transmission and a friend as well. I also had a sportsmobile forum member parking his van for a few days and he also went there.

He‘s also doing gas engines, but his diesel engine work is done by Santa Clara Truck Wreckers/ Shop (he‘s doing their trannies).
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:44 AM   #8

If you have the time, you may consider parting it out. I have a Dodge-based Sports-mobile and finding parts is always an adventure. Moreover, lot's of folks building SOB's (Some Other Brand) RV's looking for interior componentry.
Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote