Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #1

270+ Awning Opinions...

Hello,

Outfitting a new-to-me 2006 Penthouse EB. Wondering if anyone has gone down the 'batwing' 270+ awning route?

I'm up in the Pacific Northwest, so rain shelter is as important as sun shade.

Thanks in advance.

bhamBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:42 AM   #2

Garage
Couple threads out there with discussions on the topic - attached a few, but very likely more can be found:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-sm-28756.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...0-a-26934.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...deo-23882.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ngs-28137.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ing-19904.html
Old 06-12-2022, 10:38 AM   #3

Wow... my searching skills need improvement. Thanks for posting the links to other threads.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:27 AM   #4

I posted about our 23 Zero in one of those other threads.

For rain (we have just been using the awning while doing an interior rehab during the last few weeks in the PNW):
  • You don’t get full coverage over the driver rear door (passenger mount) in the rain. You need to use a accessory wall or tarp if you want the rear doors open and dry
  • You need a solution for the gap between the frame and the rain gutter. There are some threads talking about fabbing up an HDPE cover for fiammas… Since the frame pivots out on a 270 - you have to pull something else together
  • On an EB you wont get coverage from your full barn door / slider from a 270 if you mount the pivot at the back of the van. You could use extended tent walls to do so on the 23-Zero or similar models

With the walls and a batwing - we can get really decent rain coverage even for fall / winter camping. It does take extra poles and a lot of staking to deal with water management if you are extending the zip-in walls in decent rain.
OlyEsteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #5

Easy way to search the forum is:
Using a browser, use search input for 270 awning as an example - Sportsmobileforum.com 270 awning

As OlyEsteban listed, and as discussed in the threads, there are pros and cons to each awning solution. For the Batwing awnings the pivot point location for wrapping around the back, the mounting points and leverage on the gutter, and the "All out or Not at All" deployment requirement are the negatives. Also, for a gutter mount legs are absolutely a must for any of awning.

The gap between the awning and the gutter is a critical issue when it comes to rain. A solution (for the side door) we use for the Fiamma awnings on our rigs is a 1/16th thick piece of ABS plastic sheet 8ft long x 8in tall. The top edge tucks into the awning case extrusion which seals the upper edge off perfectly. The lower edge has to be scribed to to the arch of the the gutter. This lower edge can be finished off with TrimLok Top Bulb Edge w a .200 diam bulb p/n 5M062B3X1/16C-25 which I have found Grainger to have the best pricing right now. Trimming the ABS is easily done with tin snips. A bit of double sided tape between the ABS and back of the bracket will add some additional securing of the ABS but I do not do this.

For additional shade, lots of DIY solutions using lightweight materials that clip to the edge of the awning. Fiamma also has rooms, sides, shades, etc. The main issue with these is bulk. REF has one of the best additional shade solutions I have seen. Maybe he can post up some pics of the really cool shade panel he uses on their Fiamma.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:32 PM   #6

I realize OP started out looking for rain protection as well as sun but thought I'd share what we do for additional shade. We've spent a great deal of time over the years boondocking for weeks on end in Baja and have found the garden shade netting sold at big box garden centers works very well as a light, cheap, quick and durable instant shade solution that easily clips to our Fiamma for an extension. We carry 3 6'x8' pieces (red in pic) and a bunch of basic spring clamps which allows us to move shade around as necessary without hassle. We also carry 4 light weight extension poles and a couple 9'x10' nylon "Beach Blankets" that are perfect for roping between rig, trees or poles (blue in pic). Carry a big hank of parachute cord, a bunch of cord tensioners and a bag o spring clamps and you're good to go for shade.

Poles
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072K1B91Q...roduct_details

blue nylon shade cloth
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Baja Shade.jpg   Baja Shade 2.jpg  
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:58 PM   #7

Thanks alot BigRiver! Those ideas will work out well.

I hope to boondock in Baja in a few years once the girls are a little older, such a great place to explore

One of the biggest realizations I have from feedback and link is the height required to set-up a 270awning. My wife is short (5'0") and I'm tall... so the traditional Fiamma will be our choice so she can handle the set-up solo when I'm no involved in the trip.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
The gap between the awning and the gutter is a critical issue when it comes to rain. A solution (for the side door) we use for the Fiamma awnings on our rigs is a 1/16th thick piece of ABS plastic sheet 8ft long x 8in tall. The top edge tucks into the awning case extrusion which seals the upper edge off perfectly. The lower edge has to be scribed to to the arch of the the gutter. This lower edge can be finished off with TrimLok Top Bulb Edge w a .200 diam bulb p/n 5M062B3X1/16C-25 which I have found Grainger to have the best pricing right now. Trimming the ABS is easily done with tin snips. A bit of double sided tape between the ABS and back of the bracket will add some additional securing of the ABS but I do not do this.
1Der, I am very interested in your solution to the rain trap between the awning and rain gutter. Do you have a picture of what you have done? I can't quite visualize your solution.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #9

1DER : Photo please

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDACamper View Post
1Der, I am very interested in your solution to the rain trap between the awning and rain gutter. Do you have a picture of what you have done? I can't quite visualize your solution.
Ditto on that. A photo or a link to a previous thread would be much appreciated. I see Grainger currently carries that strip material.
lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:43 AM   #10

The link below is buried in one of the posts linked above by 2xentrix but I'll repost here again for simplicity. It's the best comparison/info I've found on all the 270 options. The thread is huge but the link takes you to the specific post with 'the' list.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...2#post-2863931
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote