Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #11

Just remember that when items are for sale for a LONG time with multiple for sale ads the NUMBER ONE reason the DO NOT SELL is that item is OVERPRICED!

Now we can get into all sorts of various issues, item problems, item location you name it as to other reasons why the item has not sold however let's just say that the PRICE does not match the CONDITION!

This seems to be big problem with most private sellers these days. Vehicles, property, houses you name it everyone has an inflated opinion of the value of their asset. Unfortunately for those "Overpriced" sellers it takes them FAR TO LONG to realize this FACT and by the time they do accept that realization their for sale item has passed most buyer's by as they have already purchased something else OR that item has been labeled having a big problem as it has not sold. Armchair know it alls that have never seen the item for sale posting their opinion, social media and internet forums can easily kill the sale of an item that stays for sale a longtime!

Don't be that "Overpriced" guy when selling!

The van referenced above is OVERPRICED and it's in Alaska which is NOT the center of the world in the "Vanlife" movement!

There is a price at which anything will sell. It's just a matter of the seller accepting the realization that it your local market dictates value not what YOU want, not what YOU think its worth and yours is NOT JUST LIKE THE ONE YOU SAW ON TV that sold for a $1,000,000!

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #12

I would value the trailer at $0. If you are comfortable with the price of the van and getting the trailer for free, then maybe. That said, $63k for that van is insane. The only ones that go for that price are very low mileage with tons of upgrades. The guy has come down nearly $40k in price because getting that trailer is a hassle. If you don't want it, you will have to pay someone to take it away.

There are better deals out there. If you really like the paint or something else about it, then have at it. But a good deal it is not. Also, I am not a huge diesel fan, but lots of other people are.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #13

While the motor will likely go 500,000 everything bolted to it won't, not without some TLC.
The 13 MPG estimate is probably accurate. Maybe 15 on a good day. 17 downhill with a tailwind. 22? Not a chance.
If you really want something hands-off that won't require any work, a newer V10 is the way to go. Or like you said, wait for the new V8.

The opinion of one vs. another is usually based on past experience. The fact that the 7.3 is very capable of living past 500k has been proven over and over, the odds are definitely in its favor as compared to a V10 being able to live past 250K. Since V10's birth they have had a bad reputation and stand a better chance of spitting out a spark plug or two on the way to this milestone. If not already repaired you should carry a helicoil plug kit for the V10 in the backcountry. As far as a motor that has not been built for 20 years, the last of these 7.3's rolled out in 2003. As far as 20 years old, I would have to argue for the 5.9 Cummings 12 valve, the Chevy 350, the Ford 460 amongst a few more. Many of these motors were produced for over 20 years and not for the last 20 except the 5.9. These were decommissioned not for their failures, I had a 460 with over 275k that did not leak oil or had I replaced a part other than the alternator because of a 12 volt jump. The 7.3 was placed in many International Business class trucks like the 5.9 (bobtail box vans) for years. The 7.3 has survived and tackled any obstacle in its way including length of life. As far as new tech, the 24 valve Cummings was new tech yet not as desired, but this would be splitting hairs between preference of driver/owner. I would rather invest in a 7.3 with 200-250k before a v10 with 100k but that's me, I'm a diesel guy! I lost a plug on my 5.4 at 190K babying it and these are considered a desirable motor. If I went gas I would prefer a 5.4 than a V10 because as a maintenance fleet asst. manager responsible for over 3000 pieces of equipment locally and more throughout the state. I have seen V10's and 7.3 working hard side by side so I might know a little about the failure rate. We still have units from 1999, 5.9 and 7.3, most of our V10's have been or are getting phased out.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #14

Just saw a post by Expovans on instagram that his van will be for sale. It's a newer van with a Cummins swap...
Old 07-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal
The fact that the 7.3 is very capable of living to 500k, the odds are definitely in its favor as compared to a V10 living past 250K.
There's no reason a V10 won't make 500k as well.

I'm not trying to imply the 7.3L is a bad motor. It isn't. But lets face it... with the newest one being over 15 years old, the probably of unscheduled maintenance is high. Since the OP was looking for something trouble-free, that's why I brought that up.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
There's no reason a V10 won't make 500k as well.

I'm not trying to imply the 7.3L is a bed motor. It isn't. But lets face it... with the newest one being over 15 years old, the probably of unscheduled maintenance is high. Since the OP was looking for something trouble-free, that's why I brought that up.
No ill feelings intended at all. I respect your opinion very much so. If you see how I started my response with "most of our opinions are based on direct past experience with the subject, so I apologize if you thought I was stating that you said it was a bad motor.
Again you are correct in saying that the V10 can reach well into 500k but at what sacrifice. Plugs spitting out are a plague to them, power wise it is avery good plant but again you have to put money into them like the 6.0 diesels to safeguard backcountry ease of mind driving. There is no doubt I love the 7.3, is there a better diesel?? YES! but in a Ford Econoline, by far it is the most dependable, proven, sustainable motor in this package for the same investment if you can find one.
I am putting a 3.6 John Deere skip loader motor with 196 hours in a 1970 Scout for overlanding, is it the right choice over anything else? I don't know but they are reliable as hell, run forever and will give me 30 to 40 mpg on the trail.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Just saw a post by Expovans on instagram that his van will be for sale. It's a newer van with a Cummins swap...
That'd be my choice! 4bt even! I am going to see how my 70 Scout with a 3.6 John Deere a 700r4 and a 205 case turns out. If it does well I will be looking for a body only Ford 75-76 for a build! One thing at a time!
Old 07-26-2019, 06:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
That'd be my choice! 4bt even! I am going to see how my 70 Scout with a 3.6 John Deere a 700r4 and a 205 case turns out. If it does well I will be looking for a body only Ford 75-76 for a build! One thing at a time!
4BT? No sir, Michael's van has a new 6.7l Cummins matched with an Allison. It's quite a piece of work, supposedly the only one in existence.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:16 AM   #19

Nice it is trully sad that Ford stop manufacturing the Econoline! I know theey are available in cutaways and as much as Sportmobile owner is ... well lets just say I am grateful for him to continue using them with the Sportmobile manufactured body, but for how long? Ford Would be wise to do the cutaways with the 6.7 I would consider one with a cab high by 12 foot Atlas or Pike FRP box perfect for a pop top.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Nice it is trully sad that Ford stop manufacturing the Econoline! I know theey are available in cutaways and as much as Sportmobile owner is ... well lets just say I am grateful for him to continue using them with the Sportmobile manufactured body, but for how long? Ford Would be wise to do the cutaways with the 6.7 I would consider one with a cab high by 12 foot Atlas or Pike FRP box perfect for a pop top.
I like the Econoline, but the Transit is a far better VAN. And I also like the SMB body, however for non-poptop builds, the numerous composite commercial bodies, with their flat walls, are superior for a fixed-roof build. Considering the 2021 E-series is getting a new engine and all new electrical architecture, it looks like it'll be around for a long time still.

There's no way the Ford 6.7L will fit in a van. It barely fits in the F-series!