Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2024, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
When looking up the Optima batteries, I see they recommend the Redtop 34, which I assume is a group 34 size. But group 65 is the size usually recommended. Which one is correct, 34 or 65? Will either one work?

https://www.optimabatteries.com/products/redtop-34
I don’t even get a Redtop 34 recommended for 2008 V10, it says no go!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1066.jpg  

2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:33 AM   #12

As Ray says above, 7.3 takes a group 65. I went with Odyssey on the van and run Costco group 65 for the pickup. Both are good batteries with different purposes.

Good luck!
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:35 AM   #13

Group 65 is what goes in/ fits in those stock frame battery boxes. Is there a question about this or just trying to improve upon what Ford specified and built those boxes to fit?

The engine compartment starter battery is also Group 65 on the gas engines and 7.3 diesel. The 6.0 has two batteries on the frame. You might be able to fit something else in the engine bay space but the group 65 is what it was designed for AND the positive and negative terminals are in the correct orientation and placement. It is a "bolt-in".

Check the measurements of any other battery vs the Group 65 and you will find the Gtoup 65 is what to go with. Countless owners have been there and done this exercise. Only selection criteria is AGM vs Lead Acid. AGM is the way to go since it is not at all easy to check those batterie on the frame..

When installing - triple check the security/tightness of the cables to the terminals. I have had those loosen up and compromise the connectivity.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:36 AM   #14

Garage
Interstate is no help?

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...er-duty-v1068l
Old 01-23-2024, 08:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Group 65 is what goes in/ fits in those stock frame battery boxes. Is there a question about this or just trying to improve upon what Ford specified and built those boxes to fit?

Check the measurements of any other battery vs the Group 65 and you will find the Gtoup 65 is what to go with. Countless owners have been there and done this exercise but why not one more time Only selection criteria is AGM vs Lead Acid. AGM is the way to go since it is not at all easy to check those batteries.

When installing - triple check the security/tightness of the cables to the terminals. I have had those loosen up and compromise the connectivity.
I'm definantly not looking to reinvent the wheel. For sure I expected to stroll in and leave with a AGM and be done two days ago. When the Ford guy threw me a curve saying "no AGM for you" is when i consulted the forum.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 09:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
I'm definantly not looking to reinvent the wheel. For sure I expected to stroll in and leave with a AGM and be done two days ago. When the Ford guy threw me a curve saying "no AGM for you" is when i consulted the forum.
All good on your end! The Ford parts guy or computer system not so good, but hey, we LOVE our rigs

Call around for pricing for the different brand batteries. Just make sure you sitting down. Ford Dealer Parts guy may not have the AGM in stock but he can get it. And the dealer was absolutely the least expensive source even using my wholesale connections at Interstate and other suppliers.

IF Walmart has the Platinum G65 AGM's that would be good alternative. They were out of stock near me.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:51 AM   #17

I've always been an Interstate guy because of the warranty support and availability but having going through a set every other year I made the switch to an X2 Power Premium AGM from Batteries Plus. https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...12/sli65agmdpm

I was going to go for the Odysseys which are considered to be the best but from googling around on the diesel forums the X2s are considered a very close 2nd. An alternator and cable upgrade is a good idea.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 11:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
I thought this would be easier but I've been to two auto parts stores and a Ford Dealer and all they offer me is a lead acid. My local Ford says the Motorcraft brand doesn't offer a AGM that will fit. (height clearance? he didn't know...shocker) I have a 2008 with V-10. You guys that have a AGM what brand are you using?

This is a great AGM that will work .. And you can get it at your Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Exide-SP...SX65/308488582
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 02:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
This is a great AGM that will work .. And you can get it at your Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Exide-SP...SX65/308488582

Vanzila, Was that the link you intended? The link provided shows a flooded lead acid battery....not an AGM.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:43 AM   #20

Garage
Have you tried NAPA: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT9865
maptester is offline   Reply With Quote