Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #1

Interior water pump leak sureflo help

Sureflo pump under seat in EB-50 (2010) has drip when pressure on the system? Coming below the water pump. Tough to test as you need to disconnect the water supply to get out.

Any suggestions on what may cause this?

When no pressure on system (outside source) or pump on, with water off in sink, you get a constant drip.

Thanks for any help on this!

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Interior water pump leak sureflo help

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6697 Maybe the same problem?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #3

took pump apart to view interior parts, all looks fine, still under pressure leaking under bottom?

2010 SMB
Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #4

Split tank or other leak on floor? Condensation due to cold water mass in tank? Maybe put down a plastic ziplock bag with a paper towel piece on each side and see which side the water is coming from (falling on floor or running along floor).

Double check your fittings, put new teflon tape in everything (**I know teflon isn't appropriate for everything), tighten and retighten.

Also, it doesn't leak when under pressure?

I took my city water fill apart twice before seeing the crack... can you remove the pump and hook it to a hose or other water source directly to see if/where it leaks?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

Getting fixed. Both Sportsmobile West (Peter) and Shurflo were great. Could not find leak myself, but sent back to Shurflo under warranty. They will send back with 24 hr turn around.

2010 SMB
Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
Getting fixed. Both Sportsmobile West (Peter) and Shurflo were great. Could not find leak myself, but sent back to Shurflo under warranty. They will send back with 24 hr turn around.
What's the warranty on the sureflos? Lifetime? I am the second owner of my van and have the same issue with a leaky pump. I've been living with it, but now water has leaked to the electrical connections on the bottom of the pump and I now have corrosion build up on the red electrical connectors that I am always having to mess with to get the power to turn on. I would love to disconnect the bottom two red wires that run to my fuse panel and give them a good cleaning, but for the life of me can not figure out how to disconnect these wires. I think if I could get them disconnected and give them a good cleaning the pump would work again. However, I would much rather get a new pump that doesn't leak...either way I need to figure out how to get the dang wires disconnected. Suggestions?

Many thanks, Louie
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #7

Louie, I apologize if you read this post once already. I got things mixed up in my head (happens once in a while) and so this is a complete re-write.

I wish my Shurflow pump was not installed on its head - not only are the wire connections at the bottom where they would get wet in case of a leak, the head is the part you need to be able to remove for repairs, and there is a pump operation adjustment at the bottom of the head that is not accessible due to lack of clearance.

My pump has wiring terminals on it (male/female slot type connectors). Looks like all I would have to do is pull them apart for disconnect, and then shove them back together. Another idea is to follow the wires from the pump to the house system connections at the power panel and disconnect there. Last resort, consider cutting them and splicing them back together after reinstallation of the pump.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
My pump has wiring terminals on it (male/female slot type connectors). Looks like all I would have to do is pull them apart for disconnect, and then shove them back together.
Exactly. All I should have to do is unplug the wire that runs from the bottom of the pump, but I can not for the life of me get the dang thing to unhook from the connection to the pump. Is there some sort of tab I need to press down on to get the thing to unhook. I have gotten to the point where I am starting to just try to muscle the thing and still can't get it to unhook. What is even weirder is I'm pretty sure I have disconnected the wire before without any difficulty. Maybe when I connected it again I somehow jammed it up and now I can't get the thing disconnected.

Honestly, I wish I didn't even have an electric pump. Just complicates things for me. That's why my van has no electric windows or locks. I try to keep things as simple as possible...I've just been using a water bladder that I hook to the roof of the van as a temporary solution and it has been working fine. Although, I need to be able to use the sink as I have ten gallons of water stored in my freshwater tank I can't access without some sort of water pump action.

Many thanks, Louie.
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #9

Sounds like the terminals have corroded together from the water exposure. Is there some kind of solution you can use to loosen things up? WD-40? It may need to sit for a while to disolve away the oxidation products. Just a thought.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #10

Some of those little terminals have a pin and hole that locks together. Sometimes they slide apart, sometimes they don't. Needle nose pliers or a flat blade levered against something- just be careful not to cross the terminals or better yet pull the fuse first.