Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #1

Shatterproof Window Tint

Hi all,

In a very theft and window breakage prone area (East Bay, CA). Considering adding shatterproof tint to my van in addition to a likely alarm and enhanced door locking/break in security.

Primary goals are reducing likely actual vehicle theft, vehicle content theft reduction...and many of my windows need additional tint anyway to reduce summer temps.

Thanks!

T

Yovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

Got link to product?
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #3

Hidden fuel pump switch is probably the best defense for theft.

I'm interested in anti-intruision films as well... Last I checked, only certified installers could apply it, and required R&R of the windows. So, viable option for a new build, but probably cost prohibitive for an already-built van.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #4

I've thought about this too as it would be a good addition to all my other security measures. One consideration though, is how it may prevent or slow rescue in the case of an accident. I"ve never heard of anyone needing to be removed from a van through the window, but it's possible that in the event of a roll over, the doors may be jamed shut. However unlikely that is, I've got one of those little seatbelt cutter / glass break hammers accessories within reach of the drivers seat. Still, the chances of a theft are probably a thousand times greater than the chance of needing the emergency tool.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #5

We have installed some of these films on our boats that are shipped down the Caribbean where pirates are an issue. The film was sourced by a local window tint installer and they installed it on the windows without removing them from the boat.
04QuadBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #6

Good thoughts. I think I've seen versions that were able to be applied without window removal--and I'm not sure i would treat all windows. I was thinking mostly of pass and driver front to slow down the smash and grab crowd, maybe barn doors too. Might have other ideas on the rear doors.

I do have a kill switch, and use a club. Nothing will stop a very persistent person... but I am motivated to create as many obstacles as possible. And having had my TLC stolen and stripped earlier this year has me wanting to be proactive.
Yovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #7
Site Team

I like the idea, but I guess you just need to hope that you never need to be extracted through the windows in the event of an accident.

Herb
Old 03-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yovan View Post
I am motivated to create as many obstacles as possible. And having had my TLC stolen and stripped earlier this year has me wanting to be proactive.
That's my plan, create as many obstacles as possible that take time to overcome, in the hopes they will give up, because if they are determined enough, not even the best security plan will stop them. Sorry to hear about your loss...............
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I've thought about this too as it would be a good addition to all my other security measures. One consideration though, is how it may prevent or slow rescue in the case of an accident. I"ve never heard of anyone needing to be removed from a van through the window, but it's possible that in the event of a roll over, the doors may be jamed shut. However unlikely that is, I've got one of those little seatbelt cutter / glass break hammers accessories within reach of the drivers seat. Still, the chances of a theft are probably a thousand times greater than the chance of needing the emergency tool.
in my rollover, the van ended up on the passenger side. power windows still worked, and i was able to roll down the drivers door window and got myself and one child out that window, then got everybody else out the back doors. thought i was going to have to break the rear side windows to get people out, and i would have if we were leaking fuel and needed to get all out quick...
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
in my rollover, the van ended up on the passenger side. power windows still worked, and i was able to roll down the drivers door window and got myself and one child out that window, then got everybody else out the back doors. thought i was going to have to break the rear side windows to get people out, and i would have if we were leaking fuel and needed to get all out quick...
Breaking laminated window glass can be more difficult than one might think. If there are no rocks or tools handy, it can be darn near impossible. These are very inexpensive and have the added benifit of containing a seat belt cutter in the event the belt is somehow jammed. Mine is mounted between the visors. Better to have and never need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Advanced 4wd