Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #1

Question Transfer Flow fuel tank problem

I've got an 02 E350 7.3psd Quigley 4x4 van with a "45" gal transfer flow tank. The 45 is in quotes because if I run it until the low fuel light blinks I can only put in 35 gal. It runs about 100 miles before the fuel needle comes off Full, another 100 miles on the 1st 1/4 tank and then about 200 on the final 3/4 tank.

So my question is: Do I have 10 gal of unusable fuel at the bottom of the tank or 10 gal of unfillable air space at the top? Or some other problem I haven't thought of?

What can I do to get my 10 gal back?

I could carry a fuel can and then see how far past the warning light it will go before it dies, but I've read that running this engine dry will kill the injectors.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #2

We have the same tank and experience with the gauge. I've put 610 miles on a tank and the fill after was 41 gallons so I'm thinking the 46 gal are in there. Sure were glad when we found a fuel station though. We've never run it lower than that... or even close since.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:29 AM   #3

Garage
Same issues here. I’ve run it to the light and never been able to get more than39-40 gallons in it and the last 5 are always slow going to get them in.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #4

Multiple threads on this one.

The “fix” is dropping the tank and doing the Harpoon and/or Hutch (search either of those along with Transfer Flow) modifications. The issue is the vent tube is too far down in the tank.

41 gals is Max in the “46 gal” Transfer Flow without the vent mod and at that point it is on fumes and starting to suck air. On a diesel you do NOT want to be sucking air. Bad enough on a gasser.

Tags
fuel tank, transfer flow