Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #31

Re: 250 vs 350, 4x4 conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outopawn
The SMB Transformer model worked out great for my family with wife and 6 children.
Seats 9 with all seats in facing forward.

Steve
...that's gotta be a new indoor record.......

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #32

Bahamame: If an RB 5.4L E250 works for you, there should be no reason that a 5.4L E350 RB won't work. They are relatively plentiful.......I have one with 4WD and it works just fine for my needs.....
2003 Honda Element
Old 05-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Bahamame: If an RB 5.4L E250 works for you, there should be no reason that a 5.4L E350 RB won't work. They are relatively plentiful.......I have one with 4WD and it works just fine for my needs.....
BW - Yeah, it would work just fine. For my use, in Florida 90% of the time - any of them are. Thanks for your input!

I just don't see any on the market, not one RB with the forward facing seats.

Which is why I'm wondering if they just don't exist in any realistic numbers, or if my timing is just 'off' - or I'm missing something.

Quote:

There just aren't very many SMB's with forward facing rear passenger seats, either buckets or benches. The '50' floor plan with the forward facing rear bed/bench is by far the most popular floorplan. I look at every SMB that comes along and have only seen maybe 20 or so with rear buckets out of the few hundred I've looked at. There are a lot of converted vans with rear buckets, but most are homebuilt or custom floor plans for the minority of SMBers with kids. SMBs, like any small RV, are dominated by couples, sold mostly to couples or singles, and though this sucks it's just the way it is. Your SMB could come along, but I would think it is a unicorn and I'd be ready to throw down cash from afar and travel to get it. It's most likely going to pop up somewhere west of Denver.

Good luck though, I'm not trying to discourage you!

I'm happy with the bench in back as well... the '50' floorplan is great.

Perhaps I'm just impatient... I keep hearing that the RB50 is the most popular style... I'll keep looking.

BM
Bahamame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #34

Don't you just hate it when you are ready to buy, know what you want, *have money to give someone*, and.... you still can't find one? Or you find seventeen that "just sold last week." Argh!

Although I don't generally have any urge to buy new, sometimes it does sound nice to just be able to waltz into showroom and SIMPLY BUY one of what you want! (Not that what we want is always available new.)

Good luck in your hunt - I hope you do fine one soon!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Don't you just hate it when you are ready to buy, know what you want, *have money to give someone*, and.... you still can't find one? Or you find seventeen that "just sold last week." Argh!

Although I don't generally have any urge to buy new, sometimes it does sound nice to just be able to waltz into showroom and SIMPLY BUY one of what you want! (Not that what we want is always available new.)

Good luck in your hunt - I hope you do fine one soon!

quite true... SMB West said delivery was Feb, 2016... so, I guess you can't even walk into a showroom ...
Old 05-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #36

Sounds like your luck is similar to mine. My advice would be to quit looking for 2 weeks and 3 will turn up. I'll PM you.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Sounds like your luck is similar to mine. My advice would be to quit looking for 2 weeks and 3 will turn up. I'll PM you.

...and they'll all be sold......

Bahamame: How far (and fast) are you willing to travel for the right vehicle?

I bought mine in Wyoming.....used freq flyer miles to fly there on Dec 31, then drove it home on January 2nd.

....patience and tenacity.....and be ready to move when the right deal comes around....
2003 Honda Element
Old 05-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #38

Hey BW -

Although we're getting quite a bit off-topic, I appreciate everyone's help!

Knock on wood, I've had good luck buying out of state - I purchased in Pheonix when I lived in CO; and bought out of OH when we lived in FL. I even bought a boat site-unseen... that was pushing my luck...

Only AK would be too far, I've done that drive and I'd prefer not to again.

Typically if I find what I like, I'll send 500 to hold the truck for a week. I'll ask the seller take the vehicle to a mechanic shop of my choosing. Then I'll pay the guy upon either dropping it off at a storage place until I can fly in, or when the shipping company picks it up... I've a friend who will drive anywhere in the country for $500.00 too... but with gas and a plane ticket - shipping may be better...

If I'm concerned at all about the vaidity of the transaction, I'd have an attny handle it (excrow) - or frankly, if I'm concerned, there's a red flag and I won't buy.

It's an expensive way to do it, I know... but I've found if you know what you want, and are willing to look on a national basis, you get what you want for a 'market' price in the end. I also think most folks looking to sell are honest. (I'm the 'sketchy' side - they're wondering what kind of craigslist scam it is...)

Timing for that process would be immediate. ...And getting back on topic - I really like the idea of a 2wd conversion - I know what I used to do in the hills of CO w/ a 4x4, and I pity the folks who bought my 'stuff'

I'm not looking to buy a 'screaming deal' - I'd like to pay what it's worth, and those values seem to be defining themselves during this search.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
.....and be ready to move when the right deal comes around....
I've seen many, many buyers miss out because they waited to find 'the SMB' before they had their finances ready to go, and someone else comes in and buys it before they get squared away. Not saying this is your situation, just words of experience to all potential buyers out there.

Herb
Old 05-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #40
Site Team

EB and appears to only be 2wd, but has forward facing seating for 4. Price seems high to me, but MANY that are advertised on SMB's website are priced high, with a significant percentage being price stupid-high.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/inventory-d ... ory_id=310