Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

MG Metal Works DIY kit knowledge share

Hi guys,

MG has restarted manufacturing the 4x4 DIY kit with the recent group buy. I sent my payment yesterday.

This thread is to share our install progress, ask questions, share tips and tricks. Mostly help each other out since one of the condition of the group buy is limited support for vehicle specific applications by MG.

I'll introduce myself.
Name: Avi
Vehicle: E350 RB, 6.0

Will be great to hear from others in the group buy.

Also I have created a spreadsheet with all the off-shelf parts and the best prices found online. Willing to share if anyone is interested.

karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #2

Great to see this!

We've sent out a lot of info via email. If ya'll can think of a decent way to post it here (without it being a wall of text or poorly formatted tables, let me know). It just seems like too much info to cut and paste out of an email into a forum post.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #3

I would like info about springs, what part # correspond with what ride heights, etc.
It would be nice if any and all info can be posted.

Brian
2011 E350 v10 138"WB cutaway
Boise, Idaho
Old 09-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

Garage
I am always down to help if someone needs it.

As far as springs go I would just go with the cc880s springs and then if you really hate it enough to do the work to swap them (not much work but enough to make you think twice) then go from there. If anything your rear springs will need alot more attention than the fronts in order to get the ride you want.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #5

^^^ Yeah...considering that I designed all of the brackets around the installed height of the cc880s springs, I'd say start there. They work really well on most vans.

I put a set of super heavy springs in the Cummins van (5000lbs springs)
https://www.truckspring.com/suspensi...450-Super-Duty

They are a little stiff, maybe because they're new and not a lot of miles yet. Ride is firm but not too jarring...but they're the only spring that holds up the hefty Cummins/Allison at the right ride height. If you have a very heavy rig with heavy steel bumper and the CC880S isn't cutting it, these SSC-31 work well.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:59 AM   #6

Fair enough, I will use the cc880s, I thought I had read info that there was a couple different springs folks were experimenting with and ending up with different ride heights (looking for lower).
Old 09-23-2018, 08:09 AM   #7

Anyone contributing needs to list the year, engine and tranny of their van. This is very important. If you are contemplating converting a van older than 05 or so you'll have some hurdles with speed sensors, output shafts and the like. I can't remember all the specifics but I've done it. MG, Ujoint, Agile and lots of individuals like myself have done this. The answers are out there but often on a case by case basis. Ford didn't do things as consistently as you might think in the late 90's/early 2000's vans.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #8

Thanks Karma for starting the thread. I picked up a kit and will be tackling the project with a couple buddies who know a lot more than I do, so all the tips and tricks are appreciated. I’ll take a copy of the spreadsheet if you want to PM. I have a pretty good idea of what I need but I’d like to compare your list.

Paul
2000 E-350 EB 7.3l
Seattle WA
wallysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallysworld View Post
Thanks Karma for starting the thread. I picked up a kit and will be tackling the project with a couple buddies who know a lot more than I do, so all the tips and tricks are appreciated. I’ll take a copy of the spreadsheet if you want to PM. I have a pretty good idea of what I need but I’d like to compare your list.

Paul
2000 E-350 EB 7.3l
Seattle WA
Need to find a way to load it somewhere, so people can see it via a link.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #10

I wrote a fairly lengthly (maybe to long) post Sunday and lost it so I'm bitter.

I'm hunting for axles. I have been watching and inquiring about some over the past couple months in anticipation of this.
Using car-part.com, automotix.com, ebay, lkq.com, CL
One of the big questions is what to get.
I have a Dana 70 rear with a 4.10 ratio, these axles we are looking at come in 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, and 4.30

So I have been considering getting the 4.30 knowing that I might likely end up getting a matching 4.30 Sterling rear later on, like when I do transfer case and rear shaft.
Also finding 4.30 is about the rarest ratio axle, and the more expensive vs. 3.73.
….and knowing that the open front diff is worthless anyways, I will have to crack into the differential so why not do a gear change then anyways?
If by then I decided to keep the Dana 70 and its wheel adaptors I could just go 4.10
Right now its a difference of $600, less than a gear change when opening the cover anyways
Looking at:
2015 3.73 20K miles, $1200 shipped
2016! 4.30 35K miles, $1800 shipped

How are others solving their axle dilemma?

« Rear axle thread? | - »