Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2023, 03:05 AM   #1

BFGoodrich KT series HD terrain

Has anyone managed to get their hands on the new BFG KT HD terrain tires yet?

Im curious about the sidewall strength and road noise.
Attached Thumbnails
tires2.jpg  

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:23 AM   #2

Likewise. I've never heard of it until today. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there from consumers on it yet.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:38 AM   #3

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec....+KT&isSEO=true
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:47 AM   #4

Ya, i have looked at all the specs and websites. I was hoping for some first hand experience and opinions. I managed to find four reviews, i think it was on tirerack. One of the people stated that he wished the sidewalls were stronger.

That left me confused because on the BFG site they really brag up the sidewalls as being a key feature in terms of strength.

Then i started shopping for a set of 7 and no one has them in inventory for some reason. I think tirerack has them but i prefer to buy locally.

Its a 60,000 mile warranty HD terrain tire supposedly geared towards commercial and heavier vehicles. I think the load index rating goes as high as 124 and down to 119 depending on the size with the 124 rated tires being right around $385 dollars each.
Old 06-24-2023, 07:52 AM   #5

I looked up the specs just to confirm that they are E rated.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 08:23 AM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Looks like they are designed more for the commercial or construction market, those that haul heavy loads and tow. Just looking at the tread design, I don’t think they’d be a good choice for anyone driving in wet, snow or varied winter conditions, certainly didn’t see any all season or 3 peak snowflake ratings listed in the description.
They have large flat tread blocks with little to no siping that would aid in grip on slippery or wet surfaces, I bet they’d hydroplane pretty easily and not sure they’d be a great highway tire with noise or comfort. Just my .02
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 09:33 AM   #7

It looks like my local costco has them in stock in the size im looking for, but then again i dont have a costco membership.

REF, i am putting different hubs on the rear of my truck next week and i have to buy 17" tires. I already have the wheels in my garage. What terrain style tire would you recommend for a truck that weighs in at 10,500 pounds dry with nothing in it? Add 330 pounds of fuel, 280 pounds of water, 75 pound dog, 45 pound dog, my fat 210 pound body, and all of our gear.

Actually i shouldnt have given you that weight because thats what it weighed brand new when it was a two wheel drive. I swapped it over to 4x4, added an offroad bumper with a 17,000 pound winch so its several 100 pounds heavier than when it was new.

I currently have E rated BFG KO2 tires on it. I will say they are nice in rain and dry roads, but beyond that i consider them to be a poor performer overall.

I cant put the rear hubs on until i have the 17" tires and wheels here ready to install so i can let the truck down off the jack stands when im finished.
Old 06-24-2023, 03:47 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
What terrain style tire would you recommend for a truck that weighs in at 10,500 pounds dry with nothing in it? Add 330 pounds of fuel, 280 pounds of water, 75 pound dog, 45 pound dog, my fat 210 pound body, and all of our gear.

Actually i shouldnt have given you that weight because thats what it weighed brand new when it was a two wheel drive. I swapped it over to 4x4, added an offroad bumper with a 17,000 pound winch so its several 100 pounds heavier than when it was new.
Sound like 'fully loaded' you be creeping up on 12K lbs...and I suspect your rear axle carries the brunt of that burden (probably gets close to 6,800lbs or better). I'd have it weighed to make sure, but in the event you can't get this accomplished, just know all 'E rated' tires are not created equal.
If you look at the 'max load' rating they can vary from 3,000lbs to 4,300lbs. I'm guessing you're in a special class with some of us driving a pig with lipstick .
You'll want tires on the rear that can accommodate max load of at least 3,500lbs or better.

Select the size you're looking at and then check load ratings on the different brands:
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/35X12.50R17.htm
Old 06-24-2023, 04:57 PM   #9

I have weighed it, i ran it on a cat scale when it was still two wheel drive and again twice after i converted it, once with a nearly empty fuel tank and once with a full tank. I was just to lazy to dig those papers out to post an exact weight.

The load rating game is complicated because im not one to run out and throw the biggest tires i can find on my truck just because they fit in the fender opening and dont rub. As you stated, not all E load rated tires are the same. The load rating is limited by the tire size.

My truck came with 4:10 gears and Ford lists a 245/75-16 as an optional tire size with the 225/75-16 being the recommended size. Mine came with 235/75-16 tires on it, so someone had changed them. When i installed new tires on the 16" rims i went with the optional 245/75-16. Two years later i decided i would put some 235/85-16 on it because the 245-75-16 just looked small in the fender openings and were already showing uneven wear due to I-beam issues i wont get into here. The 235/85-16 are whats on it currently in the back, however acceleration from a dead stop took a nose dive with that tall of a tire. With that said im going with a 245/70-17 which is exactly the same dimensions as the 245/75-16.

With that said the 245/70-17 only has a 3000 pound load rating. The only way i can get a higher load rating is to increase tire size, which i dont want to do again. I am also limited on tire size due to it having dual rear wheels.

Multiply 3000 by 4 which is the number of tires on the back and you get 12,000 pounds of load carrying capacity in the rear which is sufficient for the estimated 7500-8000 pound rear axle weight. I would love to have a higher load rated tire on it just for peace of mind, but they just dont exist in that size.

All of that said, thats why these specific tires caught my attention.
Old 06-24-2023, 07:38 PM   #10

Not sure about those, but once my Wildpeak A/T are gone I want to try Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T, the hybrid a/T M/T tire.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote