Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #1

My front end growls

My front end (or so it feels like) growls in tight turns low speed and can be felt some in turns at higher speeds. Feels like it would feel with really big tires rubbing on something at full loss. No noise but just feels like/vibration going over some smaller rumble strips. Local mech has no answer other than feels like the LSD rear end. Had bearings and seals done up front and that did not help.

Van is Ford E350 2014 with V10 and the SMB 4x4 conversion with Warn hubs. Did put it in four wheel and it seemed bad - just to see if that would help. It did not. Seems to be worse when all parts are cool from sitting overnight.

We are about 500 miles into a long road trip but now, not so sure what to have a look at.

Ant input would be helpful and appreciated.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:25 PM   #2

If I'm not mistaken your front driveshaft is spinning even when your in 2wd. It sounds like your u joints at the front wheels might be bad. Look closely at them. If you can remove the front driveshaft, go for a drive and see if that fixes your sound
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 04:58 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
If I'm not mistaken your front driveshaft is spinning even when your in 2wd. It sounds like your u joints at the front wheels might be bad. Look closely at them. If you can remove the front driveshaft, go for a drive and see if that fixes your sound
^^^^This would be my guess as well. Had a similar issue on the rear years ago and would never have thought the u-joint would have been the culprit...Oddly, I thought my issue was imbedded in the transmission, transfer case, or front axle since I faintly 'felt it' while my hands were on the wheel. Guess it just resonated through everything since its all connected.
Worth the look in any case.
Old 07-24-2023, 06:22 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I will have a look at those joints. Out in the woods but Starlink to the rescue.
Old 07-25-2023, 11:10 AM   #5

If your transfer case is in 2 Wheel Dr., and the hubs are unlocked, nothing should be turning in the front. You can find out, by getting under the van and turning the driveshaft, it should spin freely when 2 high. If that’s the case the problem is not the front differential driveshaft or the front driveshaft ujoints. While you’re under there, have the van parked on a level surface with the wheels blocked front and rear, put it in neutral, and see if there is any play in the rear driveshaft ujoints. Grab a hold of it and rocket back-and-forth and up-and-down at either end and look for the smallest amount of play in the U joints. Beyond that, it’s possible the front wheel bearings are beginning to wear. If you have an infrared temperature gun, after driving for an hour or so check the temperatures of The wheel hubs both front and rear. If one is significantly warmer than the others that would point to a possible wheel bearing problem. If you don’t have an infrared, just feel with your hands.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
If your transfer case is in 2 Wheel Dr., and the hubs are unlocked, nothing should be turning in the front. You can find out, by getting under the van and turning the driveshaft, it should spin freely when 2 high. If that’s the case the problem is not the front differential driveshaft or the front driveshaft ujoints. While you’re under there, have the van parked on a level surface with the wheels blocked front and rear, put it in neutral, and see if there is any play in the rear driveshaft ujoints. Grab a hold of it and rocket back-and-forth and up-and-down at either end and look for the smallest amount of play in the U joints. Beyond that, it’s possible the front wheel bearings are beginning to wear. If you have an infrared temperature gun, after driving for an hour or so check the temperatures of The wheel hubs both front and rear. If one is significantly warmer than the others that would point to a possible wheel bearing problem. If you don’t have an infrared, just feel with your hands.
^This! Especially that first sentence. So if you are getting growling with the front end disengaged it has NOTHING to do with the front driveshaft or u joints.
Old 07-25-2023, 02:42 PM   #7

A bad tire will cause a vibration, but they usually don’t make any noise. I’m guessing it’s a wheel bearing. The limited slip usually emits more of a chattering or jerking feel. When it was worked on, was the L/S additive put in? If not it will cause the plates to be grabby or shutter.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:00 PM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I may be mistaken, but unless you’ve installed something like a Dynatrac free spin hub kit, the front axle shafts will still have movement even if disconnected, so it is possible that the noise could in fact be from a bad UJoint…..no?
A front bearing is a good culprit though
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
I may be mistaken, but unless you’ve installed something like a Dynatrac free spin hub kit, the front axle shafts will still have movement even if disconnected, so it is possible that the noise could in fact be from a bad UJoint…..no?
A front bearing is a good culprit though
Good point Rick, I just assumed everyone had locking hubs. I guess not.
Old 07-25-2023, 09:34 PM   #10

Wheel bearings also growl when they go bad.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote