Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #51

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
So those teal/aqua stripes are paint? And not just vinyl appliques? I would think they are more likely something you could peel (or buff) off the from your van, using one of those 3M "Magic Stripe Eraser" wheels that can be attached to a high-speed drill or air-driven die grinder tool.

If that's actually paint --- wow, that van's clearly from a different era, I'm impressed......it seems anything with those kind of stripe graphics nowadays would be attached simply via vinyl decal method.
Yes, I thought they were vinyl or something too but they are indeed paint. it has a thick clear coat over it with a little ridge so it appeared to be a decal but I tried using stove cleaner to remove the top and it only stripped the clear coat and I found out it was paint. I don't mind the design at all just don't love the color, its not horrible though. The bottom I am defiantly going to Raptor line as there used to be fiberglass running boards and the area where is was removed is not painted and doesn't look great plus I would like to seal the little screw holes in the body and hit up the bumpers at the same time.

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
^^^ uhgreed!

I really like the steel blue too...everything looks so sharp when compared to white.
I really like Twogone's color too. I loved having that thing in my shop for awhile getting to enjoy that color for awhile. I forgot what Ford calls it, it something random of course.

I'm glad to hear your going with the original color again on your respray though. It makes a paint job so much easier.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
This is a pretty sweet looking van!!

I agree that spending your cash on performance upgrades and things like bumpers and such would be the way to go.

Maybe ask the paint guys about masking off those stripes and just going flat black to match the bottom section you are gonna do. Black bumpers and your existing wheels and that thing will be very sharp, not that it already isn't!
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #54

Quote:
Found a good Baja Tan example with my top, I think I've narrowed it down to this or Avalanche grey like the new Ford Raptor (I may still do the FJ concrete gray) but I like how the avalanche is a little lighter or at least appears to be.

I'm currently doing my SMB with cruiser top this "baja tan". I love this color.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #55

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
This is a pretty sweet looking van!!

I agree that spending your cash on performance upgrades and things like bumpers and such would be the way to go.

Maybe ask the paint guys about masking off those stripes and just going flat black to match the bottom section you are gonna do. Black bumpers and your existing wheels and that thing will be very sharp, not that it already isn't!

Thanks man, I'm loving it, plenty of room for the whole family and a great layout. I am just going to trace the design with the wire cutting tape then vinyl over those areas black should be pretty easy and cheaper than painting. I will defiantly raptor line the bottom green section and bumpers black and it should look pretty sharp. My rear leaf Springs are pretty shot and de-arched as you can see in the pic although I'm fully loaded too.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #56

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnty View Post
I'm currently doing my SMB with cruiser top this "baja tan". I love this color.
Nice!!! I'm jealous, I was going to do the Toyota quicksand color that is just a little darker than Baja tan, post some pics when your all done, it's gonna look great.

Does your Cruiser top have a rubber strip around the rain gutter like mine? I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of that is and whether or not I need it. Any ideas, I haven't had any luck????
Old 11-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #57

Quote:
Thanks man, I'm loving it, plenty of room for the whole family and a great layout. I am just going to trace the design with the wire cutting tape then vinyl over those areas black should be pretty easy and cheaper than painting. I will defiantly raptor line the bottom green section and bumpers black and it should look pretty sharp. My rear leaf Springs are pretty shot and de-arched as you can see in the pic although I'm fully loaded too.

Get a RIP kit and add some leafs.

Just about any color SMB looks great with the black accents. Silver and black will look terrific. I have so much work to do on mine, I wish I was just sweating some teal accents!!

I went back and forth with a paint job too, but in the end, I will spend the $$ on good equipment and be very satisfied. White is OK with me here in the desert, oh, and it looks good with black accents too!
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #58
MSD

Garage
Quote:
So I have finally dropped my van off for paint. After weighing all the pro's and cons I am just repainting my peeling top silver and putting black vinyl over the middle design in the same pattern for now and using the money for an agile RIP kit. Im saving the color change for another time as it already looks better with the new wheels and tires I just got. Does anyone know what the purpose of the black trim piece around the gutter is? I peeled it off and there is a metal flange with a ton of screws under it. I think the top is attached by screwing the top down onto the van right? So is this black trim piece just cosmetic or does it serve a purpose such as keeping less water from building up in the rain gutter? The reason I ask is because the painter asked if I just wanted to remove it and fix all the holes so it looks more seamless. Not sure what to decide or even if it's necessary, I'm assuming there may be a reason since it came that way and they all seem to have it, I just don't know the reason? Please advise:

The trim piece I'm talking of is the thin black line between the roofline and high top in this pic
That thin trim piece is what is holding your top to the van, along with adhesive and screws. The black trim peace covers the screws and helps keep weather out. If you need to replace it to freshen it up you can order it form factory rv surplus - 3/4" & 1" Vinyl Insert - Price: $5.00 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327 you have to decide what type of aluminum extrusion you have to get the correct trim peace. The have several different types.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I really like Twogone's color too. I loved having that thing in my shop for awhile getting to enjoy that color for awhile. I forgot what Ford calls it, it something random of course.

I'm glad to hear your going with the original color again on your respray though. It makes a paint job so much easier.

My paint is now obsolete via MotorCraft and aftermarket... sigh
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone View Post
My paint is now obsolete via MotorCraft and aftermarket... sigh
Sigh? Now your van is a collector's item! Worth at least double!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote