Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #31

Garage
Just checking in with you fine forum peeps before I undertake the same home-brew straightening operation myself. Picked up an inexpensive high-lift jack at Harbor Freight after work tonight ($50!) and grabbing u-bolts tomorrow.....

....I'm looking to "un-do" the bent-roof-bow stress done to the PH roof by the PO, who loaded TONS of gear on top of this van's roof regularly. (Overly-optimistic guy, he was....hehe)

Q: Any thoughts as to the "staying power" of a repair like this? Curious if once bent back, an x-tube is significantly fatigued, and likely to bend right back soon thereafter? (*** And along those lines of thinking --- anyone have any concerns about metal fatigue (bending something and then bending it back weakens it slightly such that it could fail/break/tear)? It seems like the "halfway point" of these x-braces is under perhaps the highest amount of potentially impactful bending stress/load from the PH roof weight (due to the lateral hole drilled through there for the bolt that pins the two x-braces on each side together, it's already a naturally-weakened point in the tube))

Just sensitive to the idea that this well-conceived repair could actually *weaken* the roofs x-braces (currently ithe tube has only been "bent" once. Bending it back bends it a second time. Accrued fatigue? Closer to causing cracks/tears in metal?)

In any event, it seems like a gradual and sensitive/deft approach is called for in bending the tubes back to straight (without damaging/denting/crimping the x-tubes) - ? Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to "overdo it" and kink the tube locally?

(DISCLAIMER: I'm also known for over-thinking things, so please feel free to tell me I'm doing that once again! )

And of course big thanks again Jage and Ace for this great post and idea!

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:40 PM   #32

I did this on old van, then had bows bend back again pretty quick.

So I sleeved the tubes with another smaller tube. Then they didn't never bend again.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I did this on old van, then had bows bend back again pretty quick.

So I sleeved the tubes with another smaller tube. Then they didn't never bend again.
Thanks rallypanam --- that sounds like a great quality repair....!

It also sounds like a repair that involves a bit more significant/involved dissassmbly of the PH roof structure/mechanism than I am probably easily able to take on.

Curious how involved that actually is. Imagining PH roof potentially propped up from within on boards, while the x-braces are unbolted to do what you're describing? it does sound like it's worth pushing through that exercise just to update/beef-up the connecting hardware and bolts.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:53 AM   #34

Garage
Alright, I've now largely answered my own question about getting the x-bow out (well, okay...this excellent forum did that...I just (sheepish face here) went back and re-read this entire thread from its beginning....and realized that there's a link posted earlier to a thorough PH top removal/reinstall thread....)

But additionally, there's this:
While it stops just shy of pulling the x-bows (u-hoops) out, there's this *other* fantastic how-to thread and video (by forum member Larrie) that seems like it's a good one to have linked/included here for the discussion.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ideo-9838.html

I'm now wondering --- can the x-bows (u-hoops) be removed entirely, while *still leaving the rest of the penthouse (roof/top/canvas) still in place* ? And just leave the PH top temporarily supported in "full up position" by the same kind of wood struts that Larrie built/used when he was just replacing the hardware in his video?

I dare say....even for my slow wits...it looks...almost doable
Old 04-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #35

Yes, in order to do my repair you have to remove the bows. But you can do that without removing the rest of the top.

I made a quick (very basic) frame out of 2x4s. Then you can unbolt the hanger pieces, and pull out the the bows.

I took a it a step farther and replaced the original size tubing and then added the interior tubing, and spot welded it all together. They were VERY strong. And the reinstalled with new hardware.

The only challenging part about it is the spring tensions. I did it with ratchet tie down straps, but they may have been over their weight limit.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #36
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Alright, I've now largely answered my own question about getting the x-bow out (well, okay...this excellent forum did that...I just (sheepish face here) went back and re-read this entire thread from its beginning....and realized that there's a link posted earlier to a thorough PH top removal/reinstall thread....)

But additionally, there's this:
While it stops just shy of pulling the x-bows (u-hoops) out, there's this *other* fantastic how-to thread and video (by forum member Larrie) that seems like it's a good one to have linked/included here for the discussion.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ideo-9838.html

I'm now wondering --- can the x-bows (u-hoops) be removed entirely, while *still leaving the rest of the penthouse (roof/top/canvas) still in place* ? And just leave the PH top temporarily supported in "full up position" by the same kind of wood struts that Larrie built/used when he was just replacing the hardware in his video?

I dare say....even for my slow wits...it looks...almost doable

Just a reminder to all...the replacement tubes cost us around $500...We had to drive it to Indiana (and all the scheduling it took to 'fit' us in) but Nancy + Jim fit us in, made the repairs and had us back on the road by the end of the day...I know $500 is healthy, but worth it in the end, and as I've stated before, we now have the "Touched three hooks" checks n' balance system to prevent the idiot part of the brain to take over BEFORE we start lifting...
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Just a reminder to all...the replacement tubes cost us around $500...We had to drive it to Indiana (and all the scheduling it took to 'fit' us in) but Nancy + Jim fit us in, made the repairs and had us back on the road by the end of the day...I know $500 is healthy, but worth it in the end, and as I've stated before, we now have the "Touched three hooks" checks n' balance system to prevent the idiot part of the brain to take over BEFORE we start lifting...
ctb --- that's not bad!!!

$500 seems like a great deal.
(vs. struggling through the process myself (and buying the hardware/extra tools such as quality come-alongs/u-bolts/high-lift jack etc.)).........

I'm only a four-hour (give or take) drive from Fresno, it would totally be worth shooting up there to have them do a "penthouse tube swap" (okay, I know that phrase sounds kinda questionable....)

The only (and seemingly not inconsiderable) issue seems to be getting Fresno's attention to line up service.....I've called SMB Fresno a number of times in the last couple of months to inquire about getting a service appointment set up with them (for other items)....

.....just can't seem to get anyone to call me back. (I'm sure they're slammed...I get it...their first priorities are surely their brand-new builds, gotta respect that...

....but I won't give up either, hehe)
Old 08-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #38

found it helpful to add a 4th U-bolt as it seemed my bow was double bent . one near the X intersection then another sag close to the roof proper. the 3 U-bolt setup shown in posts #2 & #18 corrected the bend close to the X. the solution for the one further out was isolating the newly straightened portion with a hardwood spacer shim, then really over-correcting with the U-bolt right under the roof.

no image of the before. here's in-progress & after. not sure where it will settle out after a few cycles.
Attached Thumbnails
correcting.jpg   after.jpg  
Old 09-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #39

Bent my rear Bow pretty badly. Does anyone know who makes them for Sportsmobile? Having difficulty getting a hold of anyone in Fresno
Squirrel_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_murphy View Post
Bent my rear Bow pretty badly. Does anyone know who makes them for Sportsmobile? Having difficulty getting a hold of anyone in Fresno
I'd call these guys and try to get the square tubes they are using.... they look more study than what SMB is using.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180919-115920.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	22831
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote