Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 09:22 PM   #1

Floor/Trim transition

So I'm using some new found downtime to finally get around to some van projects. I put in a cork floor using some leftover flooring I had. I really like the look and feel of it. We'll see how it holds up.
I pulled up the carpet to put down the floor (over 1/2 inch ply) so I have about an inch of new thickness in the floor.

I'm curious what others have done about the transitions to the factory trim pieces at the rear doors and at the side barn-door. MY first thought was to use a dremel to cut the plastic factory trim- cutting out the edge that hooks down into the carpet. Not sure that will work or not. Seems like maybe on the side doors, but not sure about the rear.

Anyone have a good solution?

MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:18 PM   #2

Rubber stair nosing for commercial applications?

Not quite far along as you, but have been contemplating the same question.
First thinking of rubber commercial stair nosing, generally glues down with PL 400. Just a thought.
Joe Futrmobl
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #3

for the side doors you may consider buying another of the factory preformed plastic pieces and then take the top off the existing one and then the bottom off the new one and install the new one over the old one so that the face comes down over it. You can glue it together and seal the edge and should be good.
The back is a little tougher and while stair edge would work just fine I think, maybe consider some copper strip which is easy to form across the back and takes abuse pretty well. Aluminum would work as well, each are a bit thinner than stair edge but make sure you do a tope edge fold over to eliminate any sharpness along that top edge
Farmbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #4

Thank you Farmbro, good idea.
Joe Futrmbl
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #5

Garage
My floor isn't as thick. but on mine the plywood stops short of the edge, and the sheet vinyl flooring is bent down to go under the trim pieces. With the cork, maybe both the plywood and cord could stop short, then install an intermediate trim strip to go over the flooring and under the trim piece. There is some flex to the trim pieces.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I ripped the rear factory trim piece down on a table saw, a bit tricky to do but if you’re careful, it’ll work. Used aluminum angle for a cap piece, I took some 220 on my sander to give it a brushed look.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2829.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	32440
Found an aluminum threshold that would work for the front but between flooring and front carpet, also had to rip it (carefully!) and cut to size and notched out any necessary bits. Made some insert pieces out of ply and the same flooring material to finish.

Name:	IMG_2826.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	32441

Name:	IMG_2827.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	32442

Name:	IMG_2828.jpg