Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2024, 12:15 PM   #1

Ford E-series spare tire carrier removal.

In my prior thread I had asked about tanks. I got the tanks and am now working on clearing the space for the tanks. To do this I need to remove the spare tire crane and its associated cradle.

I see several others here have done it, I just want to verify the method of removal without damaging the vehicle frame.

Point #1. My van has a class IV receiver hitch so the frame is stiffened at the back end via this.
Point #2. The cradle for the tanks has to be stepped as they are 2 different size tanks, a 20 and a 25 gallon, and they are not the same height. I will add a stiffener where I can.
Point #3. After seeing what Chrome Valdez went through with his rear bumper / spare tire carrier / cargo box blowing out the rear bumper mounts. I will have a welding shop / fabricator create a beefed up bracing for this area as I do want a swing out tire carrier and cargo box for the back of my van...

I am looking at the rivets that appear to attach it to the frame. It looks like it will take some careful, but aggressive application of an angle grinder to cut the heads of the rivets out, and then simply drive them the rest of the way out, and likely have to cut the cradle to get enough clearance to remove it...

Is that the only way to do that?

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:08 PM   #2

I want to hear how it is done as well. although I have all of them, none of these sound appealing while lying on my back.
  • Plasma Cutter
  • Oxy-Accel cutting torch
  • Pneumatic hammer chisel
  • cutoff wheel
  • cutoff grinder

be very careful with a 120VAC power (with thin) cutoff wheel. They can explode (ask me how I know; 15 stitches later ) and so make sure to put back on the guard.
posplayr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:33 PM   #3

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...mber-8063.html
Old 03-29-2024, 06:36 PM   #4

From multiple experiences doing this:

SawZAll w the highest quality / highest tooth (TPI) count metal blades
Overalls
Safety Glasses
Mask and skin protection from hot chips
Gloves

Cut mount flush with edge of frame
Clean up edges with a grinder
Treat/paint raw metal cuts
Old 03-29-2024, 06:39 PM   #5

Post #8 is must read - SMBforum Hall of Fame

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...bly-22906.html
Old 03-29-2024, 06:41 PM   #6

some options

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan View Post
Undervan Storage Box continued:

Before I cut out the tire carrier I have to remove the emission canister. This is also called the charcoal canister or vapor canister. The canister is bolted to the inside of the drivers side frame rail next to the tire carrier. In this picture you can see the purge valve mounted on the top of the canister.

I made a mistake in that I removed the canister from it's badly rusted carrier first.

Getting the carrier apart was a real pain. I should have removed the carrier from the van first. In this picture you can see the two bolts on the outside of the frame rail that are holding the carrier in place. Just remove the two nuts and the carrier comes right out.

Here's the canister after removal.

This "V" groove is where the purge valve is attached. The canister must be positioned so the "V" is at the top.

Purge valve.

There is another connection besides the purge valve.

With the canister out of the way I can get to removing the tire carrier. My main tool for this is going to be a sawzall. Since I'll be laying on my back and cutting above my head I need to support the carrier first. Use a wood beam to support a couple of jack stands.
Hopefully his will keep the tire carrier from falling on me.

Cutting the carrier out from under the van has been without a doubt the absolutely worst job I've had to do on the van so far. It's a uncomfortable position using a power tool in a confined space while cutting directly above my head. I'm wearing hearing protection and goggles but it's still very loud and debris is hitting you in the face. Just nasty. I was in such a hurry to get it done I wasn't as careful as I normally am and almost didn't even stop to take pictures!

I said almost didn't take pictures. Couldn't help myself.

Because of my haste some of these cuts are ragged.

I was also hard on the sawzall blades. I straightened these out later. They will be reused

Success.

After removing the tire carrier I went back and cleaned up all the cuts.

I tried with mixed success to remove the parts of the tire carrier still riveted to the frame rails. If I couldn't get them all the way out I did reduced them in size.

The sawzall wasn't the only tool I needed for this job.

For curiosities sake I weighted the tire carrier after removal. 29 lbs.

continued -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGVANS View Post
Thanks for the link WVvan!

I never had a problem with removing it from any of my old vans but they all had a hitch AND a steel bumper installed at the time. I will be grinding off the rivet heads and removing the cross member intact. I need to relocate my “Evaporative Emissions Canister” like you did. I haven’t made up my mind yet on how to do it cleanly but when I do I’ll post the pics. I may also “Box” parts of the frame rails depending on what a couple of local 4x4 fab shops have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger View Post
If you want to get them out, use an air hammer, it was the only thing that worked for me.
I used a chisel end to knock the heads off the rivets, then a punch end to knock them through. There were a few stubborn ones, those I drilled out most of the way, then punched through with the air hammer.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
From multiple experiences doing this:

SawZAll w the highest quality / highest tooth (TPI) count metal blades
Overalls
Safety Glasses
Mask and skin protection from hot chips
Gloves

Cut mount flush with edge of frame
Clean up edges with a grinder
Treat/paint raw metal cuts
I hear you; it is probably the safest but also somewhat brute force so I'm really temped by this.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...html#post76126
Old 03-30-2024, 07:44 AM   #8

Any photos coming ?? Thanks -
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Any photos coming ?? Thanks -
If you are reerring to me, not yet. Van is still in the shop getting other things done like the fuel pump / dip tube installed for the Velit heater. I was thoroughly disinterested in dropping the gas tank myself in my driveway.
dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 02:47 PM   #10

Thanks - understand - Enjoy seeing "tru artists" at work !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote