Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2023, 08:15 AM   #1

Seeking - New LED Headlights & Reverse Lights

Hi all! I'm upgrading our 2002 E350 7.3 and looking for the brightest headlights out there. I do lots of remote adventures, forest, desert, etc, and the more light the better. A few on the FB group mentioned Scott at Vantage Optics, but I'd like additional options so that I know what is out there.

Also, upgrading the two little square reverse lights in the rear bumper.

In the front fog location, I've upgraded to the Baja Designs LP6.

Also, any recommendations on the interior lighting? The lights look like something out of an 80's science classroom lol! I'm also upgrading the side exterior porch light so.... ?

Can you tell I'm obsessed with good lighting

Old 06-19-2023, 08:42 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Not sure you can top the light output from the Vantage Optics, have a chat with Scott to get you dialed in with what you need.
As far as accessory lighting, a good pair of driving lights in the proper location along with a pair of fogs, also in the proper location will fill out any lighting needs.
I’d swap those LP6’s up to a higher location on your bumper, maybe hang them from the bar if you’ve got an Aluminess front bumper. I’d then put a pair of BD XL-R pros(or sports) in amber wide cornering (or combo) in the fog locations in your bumper for a much more effective placement and getting the most out of your lighting.
Do you have an Aluminess rear bumper?
There’s a bunch of options for rectangular rear backup lights on Amazon that fit the bill, aren’t too much $ and are a huge improvement on the old halogens.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 09:14 AM   #3

I got the LP6's for $800 after discounts I had, so that was a no brainer

I'll eventually add a bar up top as well, IF the Advantage paired with the LP's don't do the trick. Thanks for the info, I'll peek around Amazon for the rears. So far, it's Advantage Optics 3, other brands ZERO! lol
Old 06-19-2023, 02:52 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontmanAdventures View Post
I got the LP6's for $800 after discounts I had, so that was a no brainer

I'll eventually add a bar up top as well, IF the Advantage paired with the LP's don't do the trick. Thanks for the info, I'll peek around Amazon for the rears. So far, it's Advantage Optics 3, other brands ZERO! lol
Make it four, but my vote can't actually count! The lights make a huge difference by reducing strain and making the driving experience just a bit more enjoyable! Personally, I'd hold off on adding lots of other auxiliary lights as they generally aren't needed once good headlights are in place (for street use). For heavy offroad use there is no such thing as too much light so that's a different story!

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:26 AM   #5

Garage
Make it 5 votes for Scott’s Vantage Optics. I just ‘upgraded’ from his HID’s to the Gen2 LED’s. Don’t get me wrong, I was very pleased with HID’s, But the LED’s seem a little brighter at night - probably because it’s just a shade whiter in color (HID = 5000, compared to LED = 6000).
Either way, you can’t go wrong!
Old 06-20-2023, 08:37 AM   #6

I'll add a sixth vote for Vantage Optics, as well. We have had them for over five years on our '02 7.3.
We just added a 2014 E350 to the family and it has stock headlights. First night drive last night had me GREATLY missing the VO's in our other van.

I'll also submit a NO vote for the LED light bar up high. Too much glare. Put the light bar on the front bumper or grill provided airflow is good.

Side low/medium intensity lighting for the sides is highly recommended on back country roads at night. I think Scott has something in that category as well.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:43 AM   #7

Thanks all, glad to hear VO are the go-to
Old 06-25-2023, 11:05 AM   #8

Garage
You will not be disappointed with Vantage Optics!
NWAvant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 12:10 PM   #9

Am I the 7th vote? Vantage is good. I will add my $0.02 though. LED lights are great but have one major drawback: they do not produce much heat. This really is only a problem if you do a lot of night driving in snowy conditions because ice can build up on your lights and render your headlights useless. I think it is only certain sticky snow that does it but very dangerous when you can’t see driving in the snow. You can pull over and knock the ice off the lights periodically to maintain visibility. My LED lights do not have built in heaters and wish they did. I have not found a great alternative here but do not do much night driving in the snow so hasn’t been a big issue. Something to consider since you said you travel to remote areas a lot…
Old 06-25-2023, 01:01 PM   #10

I will give the Vantage my vote also. I am running them on my 2003 Ford E350.
It is nice looking light and much, much better light at night.
I have one issue is with daytime running lights. The right head light often does not ignite so I am a one eyed bandit during the day. If I turn the lights on and off the left light will usually remain on.........other than that I do like the night lighting and modern look.
2003 Ford E-350 SMB 7.3
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote