Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #1
Site Team

Cutaway chassis info

So if I run a VIN decoder on a cutaway, is the "Equipment Info" accurate, at least with the as-of build date? Cutaways are a breed unto themselves, and I know things could have been changed out, but I'm curious if the VIN-based info is accurate or if they put in fairly generic info? I'm most interested in Fuel tank size, axle ratio, and alternator capacity.

thanks,
Herb

Old 02-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #2

What site are you getting info from? I'll put in a VIN that I have lots of detail about to see if everything lines up.

ETIS used to have a public site that would break down everything on the vehicle by VIN#. It's not available to the public but dealers can still pull that level of detail. The window sticker is pretty accurate too but all of the public sites for that have been hit or miss, especially with "commercial" vehicles.

Your best bet is to befriend a Ford employee who has access to build information. Crewvanman on the Transit forum is the man for all things Transit but could probably point you to someone in the commercial Eseries side of things.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:03 PM   #3
Site Team

I always use Ford Truck Enthusiasts VIN Decoder.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

Herb
Old 02-13-2022, 11:09 AM   #4

Remember that "Cutaway's" by their very nature will be considered a commercial vehicle vy the VIN number for insurance purposes which can mean expensive. Some states have a different designation for RV's however that may mean you have to properly convert the cutaway to a RV before they will insure it at the cheaper RV insurance rates.

A cutaway can make a great conversion van just make sure you have all the information needed for your state of residence concerning registration before you purchase and start the project.

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Remember that "Cutaway's" by their very nature will be considered a commercial vehicle vy the VIN number for insurance purposes which can mean expensive. Some states have a different designation for RV's however that may mean you have to properly convert the cutaway to a RV before they will insure it at the cheaper RV insurance rates.

A cutaway can make a great conversion van just make sure you have all the information needed for your state of residence concerning registration before you purchase and start the project.
Good info, thank you.

Herb
Old 02-14-2022, 08:43 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Do I sense a project coming?

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
Do I sense a project coming?
Still trying to figure out what my direction is. Retiring soon, so looking for the next chapter.

Herb
Old 02-15-2022, 09:33 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Still trying to figure out what my direction is. Retiring soon, so looking for the next chapter.

Herb
Looking forward to reading it.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #9
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post

This can happen with any cargo van, to be honest. I ran into it with mine, because the VIN says it's an E-250 cargo.

What I found was I couldn't insure it via anyone's online sites, but when I called an actual AAA representative he was able to deal with it. They just had to send someone around to make sure I wasn't using it as a commercial vehicle. I didn't even have to get involved, they just drove past to make sure it didn't say "BOB'S PLUMBING" on it or something.

In California you can't insure as an RV unless you have a permanently installed toilet. This varies a lot from state to state, I gather.