Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2021, 11:32 AM   #1

Mounting a Composite box to E350 Cutaway Chassis?

Has anyone mounted one of these Total Composite Boxes to a 4x4 converted E350 Cutaway Chassis? I'm looking into this idea and need to know more about the best way to mount the box to the chassis and cab. These boxes are rigid and don't have any give to speak of, so I'm wondering if a 3 or 4 point subframe is needed to isolate the vibrations, twists and flex from the chassis OR if it can be mounted directly to the chassis with some sort of dampening mounts? Anyone with experience in this area?

As for the box to the rear of the cab, I'm considering some sort of rubber boot that allows for some twisting action. Thoughts or insights?

VanHallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:12 PM   #2

Very interested in this thread as I have given quite a bit of thought to this!
Old 04-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #3

Most rvs are hard mounted. Jayco uses stock body bushings. Basically you just plan on it being rigid and use the suspension to do it’s thing. I’ve never seen a E-series with flexible cab boot. All cabs are hard mounted and that’s what Ford recommends.
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #4

I've been trying to find a contact at Ford, any chance you have one? I hear you with good suspension. My concern with the composite panel boxes is they tend to be more rigid than a fiberglass or an aluminum box, both of which can handle a bit more flex before stress fractures occur. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #5

Your plan does not seem much different than an ambulance build on a E series cutaway. Might be worth looking how they are built.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellpilot View Post
Your plan does not seem much different than an ambulance build on a E series cutaway. Might be worth looking how they are built.
Yeah, I'm trying to find out what I can about other mounts too. I do suspect that aluminum boxes have a little more latitude in how they're mounted to the frame and cab as it's a more similar material properties, so I trusted they are just attached with the standard body mounts like the cargo and passenger vans use to be. Maybe that's all that's needed here, but just want to find out what I can. I think to really answer the question is to know how much the frame twists and flexes after a 4wd conversion.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #7

Body mounting is all described in detail here:

https://madocumentupload.marketingas...622ef&v5=False

RV's are pretty rigid too. The slide-out systems don't really tolerate any twist without them binding up.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:40 PM   #8

Wow, That's a lot of detailed info. I'll have to take a closer look. Thank you! I'm just thinking that a converted 4wd E350 will experience even more twist and flex by virtue of where these can go when compared to a more standard RV. So if a standard RV can get racked up a bit, then a 4x4 even more so, in which case a 3 or 4 point subframe might be worth pursuing. I'd hate to invest in building out a box and go cheap on mounting it to the chassis, only to have it fail.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #9

I was looking at this option as well before I purchased my Transit.

Check these guys out:

https://totalcomposites.com/gallery/
Old 04-16-2021, 10:12 PM   #10

That's the box, I'm considering but apparently no one has mounted one to and e350 let alone a e350 Chassis model with a 4wd conversion.

Tags
body mounts, subframe