Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #11

Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post
We just finished our insulation. Its somewhat involved, So I will just post a link to my van build(on a local forum)

The Long Reach Adventure Van - Page 16
I like the way you made a floating floor...makes sense...

Davidl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #12

My plan is not all that far off from expeditionnw's. First thing down on the floor will be a 50% coverage with a butyl sound deadening mat to kill resonance. the floor with then get 100% coverage with ensolite, which is similar to the neoprene, but a different kind of Closed Cell Foam. Hydrophobic as well kills noise and adds insulation. Not sure just yet about the valleys. I may do the same with strips, or just fill with more insulation.

Floor will most likely be 1/2" ply. A floating floor is very good and way preferable to putting a bunch of sheet metal screws through your floor. I would suggest a handful of T-Bolts with Stainless Steel machine screws with sealing washers from the underside. You can recess the bolts so they are flush with a forstner bit. I always think about the "what if" and would not want anything heavy coming loose.

Lonseal sent me 5 samples free of charge of the loncoin flooring. I am kind of digging the medium grey Loncoin II.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #13

Flux,

Another option for bolting thru (and a heck of alot cleaner) is using a threaded nutsert similar to this :

And sealing it prior to install it in floor. This way, everything is done from the top, and you can control the seal area. then countersink the heads like you mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
5mm-100pcsFlat-stainless-steel304-Rivet-Nut-Rivnut-Insert-Nutsert-blind-nut-fastener.jpg  
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #14

I like that a lot. and we have those by the bucket full at my work as well as the pneumatic guns.

One thing I wonder is if anyone considers that the cab ever might have to come off the frame for some sort of engine or transmission deal. Maybe keeping access to the body/frame connection bolt is an OK idea??
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #15

that has crossed m mind many times. it would be simple enough to bore a 2" hole in the floor panel over the body mounts, and flooring over them. I didnt do it in mine, But i did plot their location in case it needs to happen.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #16

I purchased the wise industries interior wall kit which finishes off the van pretty nice. There's a thread over on expedition portal that has multiple pictures of the kit installed in people's vans. Only thing is that it is for cargo van you would have to cut around for your windows. One member did this with the kit.
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #17

Going to shop for flooring materials next and would like to hear anyone 's favorite flooring or do they wish they had done something different? Thanks for input!

I'm out in all weather, will have waders hanging over a bin... No pets.
1 mat type such as loncoin
2 plywood- if you like this then how many anchors should I plan on?
3 Carpet
4 other

Building a wood bed frame with storage below, deciding if I need corner anchors to keep that in place (which may point towards plywood flooring- hmmmm may have answered my own question!)
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post
We just finished our insulation. Its somewhat involved, So I will just post a link to my van build(on a local forum)

The Long Reach Adventure Van - Page 16
Nice thread on Gitout. How the hell did you find such a pristine Toreador Red 7.3 with so few miles?? You mention, "Every sale outlet I can find on the western half of the US."

Care to share in a PM?
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #19
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Going to shop for flooring materials next and would like to hear anyone 's favorite flooring or do they wish they had done something different? Thanks for input!

I'm out in all weather, will have waders hanging over a bin... No pets.
1 mat type such as loncoin
2 plywood- if you like this then how many anchors should I plan on?
3 Carpet
4 other

Building a wood bed frame with storage below, deciding if I need corner anchors to keep that in place (which may point towards plywood flooring- hmmmm may have answered my own question!)
I've wondered about how well CoreTec would work. It's water proof and super tough. It has a cork backing and locks together. But it's free floating and in a vehicle that is bouncing around on a trail, I'd think some kind of glue might be required. Super easy to work with...a little over 1/4" thick and it cuts with a razor knife. Not sure about water getting in under it though.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I've wondered about how well CoreTec would work. It's water proof and super tough. It has a cork backing and locks together. But it's free floating and in a vehicle that is bouncing around on a trail, I'd think some kind of glue might be required. Super easy to work with...a little over 1/4" thick and it cuts with a razor knife. Not sure about water getting in under it though.
That would make a beautiful floor- I guess it also depends on your camping style- glamping / dirtbag / or some degree between!