Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #1

Cummins engine replacement for the 6.0.

If anyone is interested, I was visiting a shop just east of Portland, OR. The owner, Rob was in the process of placing a 6.7 L Cummins in his F350 ford. He found his 6.4 L Powerstroke was failing him too often and decided to fix it right. This will be his forth conversion. I asked if it could be done on the E350. He said either the Cummins 5.9 or 6.7 would fit, plus there are many custom turbos and finding one to fit would not be an issue. The reason the Powerstroke 6.4 did not fit due to all the emissions equipment. The cost would be $9500 in labor and about 80-100 man hours to complete. The total cost would be depending on how your source your engine and what you do afterward...20K total and up from there. (The engine he has was from a totaled truck with only 1000K miles on it.) I asked about a manual transmission and he said sure, but why would I to given the improvements with the automatic transmissions.

My van has less than 10K miles on it and no issues currently. However, it is reassuring that for a modest fee, I can rebuild my van into something better. For now I will just place an axillary transmission cooler, larger replacement for steering fluid, EGR delete and custom air intake and 4" exhaust minus the cat. The EGR valve will remain in line and therefore prevent any error codes.

I also asked if hypothetically I total my SMB. Could I convert an E350 gas to a Cummins? It can be done, but may have issues with Oregon's DEQ and title issues.

The youtube links are from a racing Duramax Rob built that is rated the 4th fastest. 0-130+ under 10 seconds. I had no idea a diesel could out pace many muscle cars. That link I will post when I come across it again.

The contact information:

Rob's 4 Wheel Drive and Diesel Center

503 650 6101

11955 SE Highway 212
Clackamas, OR 97015

(503) 967-7352

robsoffroad@yahoo.com

(I have no affiliation with them)
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote