Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2024, 05:04 PM   #441

So, 270 awning issues are:
1. how far back the pivot point has to be to wrap around the back of the van. This puts the forward end of the awning case in the middle of the cargo door and requires some type of sub mount to span the three brackets.

2. 270 awnings put lots of leverage on whatever they are mounted to and when that is solely gutter mounted bracket then likely to have problems bending the gutter. Swinging out the arms you would absolutely have to get the legs extended to support the armed.

As far as attaching other than Fiamma awnings to the brackets, yes, it can be done. If you like the Bat Wing style then consider a 180 deg awning.

Personally nothing beats the Fiamma F45S 10ft in terms of deploy and retrieve and ease of use. I use ours any time we feel, even for a 20 min stop in a parking lot with limited side space. 1 perso. Not doing that with a 180/270 nor ARB.

Old 03-30-2024, 06:06 PM   #442

Are sidewalls available for the fiamma?

My van is an Econoline RB and I am now using a 3m X 3m tarp rig with suction cups to the metal roof for an awning, and I set up my Joolca Ensuite butted up against that. I want a sidewall so I can set up / take down added shade for those hot Texas days...
dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:25 PM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Personally nothing beats the Fiamma F45S 10ft in terms of deploy and retrieve and ease of use. I use ours any time we feel, even for a 20 min stop in a parking lot with limited side space. 1 perso. Not doing that with a 180/270 nor ARB.

Agreed, and me too.

Only thing easier IMHO would be a self supporting electric RV awning, and I don't think they make those with supports that would work on a van.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:26 PM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post

I don't believe so. I think I've seen one setup with an outside wall (may have been homemade), but not side walls.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:28 PM   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post

My van is an Econoline RB and I am now using a 3m X 3m tarp rig with suction cups to the metal roof for an awning, and I set up my Joolca Ensuite butted up against that. I want a sidewall so I can set up / take down added shade for those hot Texas days...
Yes, quite a few options for sidewalls in terms of material weight, windows, sun protection, etc. Individual side walls of complete privacy rooms.

https://www.fiammausa.com/en/f45s-en.html

scroll down to related accessories. I have an account w Fiamma and can help with your order, if you like.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:49 PM   #446

Garage
Quote:
So, 270 awning issues are:

2. 270 awnings put lots of leverage on whatever they are mounted to and when that is solely gutter mounted bracket then likely to have problems bending the gutter. Swinging out the arms you would absolutely have to get the legs extended to support the armed.
I'm sure the 'stress' you mention is also the culprit contributing to the original SMB lower bolts on the mounting brackets pulling out (and/or loosening).
After reading some of the reports which members commented having this issue I now always make it a point to crank my Fiamma out about 3-4ft, then pull the legs out and extend the legs about 2-3 more feet in front of the awning. At that point I just continue to deploy to the desired depth (readjusting the height of the feet last). This way the feet burden the added weight as the awning extends instead of the brackets.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:33 PM   #447

Quote:
Yes, quite a few options for sidewalls in terms of material weight, windows, sun protection, etc. Individual side walls of complete privacy rooms.

scroll down to related accessories. I have an account w Fiamma and can help with your order, if you like.
I am not looking at keeping rain or snow out, If for example rain gets bad enough it is going sideways, the awning is stowed anyway. Looking to give sun protection. I would be perfectly happy doing home brewed shadecloth on the side for example.

I see on the Fiamma website they have something they call the "Blocker" that is close to what I am thinking, I am just thinking larger, like almost all the way to the ground...
dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:41 PM   #448

Quote:

Well, I stand corrected! I had never seen that.

It is, I have to say, shockingly expensive.
Old 03-31-2024, 12:03 AM   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
Agreed, and me too.

Only thing easier IMHO would be a self supporting electric RV awning, and I don't think they make those with supports that would work on a van.
I believe that Fiamma makes one, no idea of the model though. A few years ago I saw a pic in a post somewhere of a van with a deployed awning that looked like a Fiamma but there was something off about the picture. Finally it dawned on me that it didn't have any support poles.

I remember contacting the poster who confirmed it was a Fiamma, but don't remember the details or where that interaction took place. It was definitely a Sprinter or Transit style van, but I don't remember if it was mounted to the roof or to a roof rack.

Edit: Found it on the Fiamma site. It is the F65 Eagle and it is roof mounted.

https://www.fiammausa.com/en/fiammas...129880361.html

--Joe
Old 04-16-2024, 12:46 PM   #450

I'm in for the Fiamma brackets if available.
micahjbun is offline   Reply With Quote