Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2023, 01:05 PM   #1

Am I asking for problems buying a 1989 SMB?

I've been wanting a sportsmoblie for a while now, but not knowing how much I'd really use it makes justifying the price difficult. Well, that and the lack of funds. I saw this ad and thought maybe this van is a good way to dip my toe in the water and see if a SMB is right for me without spending too much.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/198...%27-5026896398

Are these engines considered reliable?

If it truly only has 98,xxx miles what could I expect to get out of it with regular maintenance?

Any known issues with this model year or build?

Without 4x4 can this van do mild FS roads that I can do in my sedan?

Would I be burning money if I converted to 4x4?

Thanks for your help!

PebbleWrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 03:16 PM   #2

Garage
Judging solely off the pic's, That's a remarkable well preserved unit - I'd guess its been garaged it's entire life.
It's low mileage, but it's also 34yrs old, which warrants a real thorough inspection - even the description doesn't acknowledge "everything functions as it should".
To me, the age means anything rubber may have seen its best days already like Hoses, Seals, Weather striping, etc but you can't really tell from the photos). I wouldn't trust anything with the Propane system (For me, all hoses would need to be replaced, along with regulator and possibly the tank...I would certainly consult someone about all this from a safety standpoint).
I'd also change all fluids (Coolant, Differentials, Trans, Engine oil, Power steering & Brake, etc).
Description doesn't say anything about the electrical set-up, but wouldn't put too much faith in the House battery holding up, or the fridge. The water system would need a good disinfecting/cleaning.
It's all dated so you'll want to test each and every item on that van to see if it's operating properly.
With that said, if everything is functional you can get some use out of it, but no matter what investment you put into it, if/when you decide to sell you'll probably not get much more than what you paid (if that). If you use it for a couple years, barring any major repairs required, IMO it wouldn't be a bad investment to get out and have some fun...disappointing it doesn't have an 8-track, so hope you saved your cassette tapes!
Old 07-02-2023, 09:59 PM   #3

Our first SMB was an 89. The only problems I had with it were the main rear engine seal went out and I had to replace the fuel tank switch over unit that switches from the rear tank to the front tank. That generation of chassis was based on a truck so do not expect a ride quality like the new generations. We had ours on FS roads and long road trips. I think it is a good entry point for someone on a budget. Just be sure to have an independent shop that is use to working in old vehicles inspect the mechanicals. The interior build out will be what it will be. Good luck.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 10:46 PM   #4

Sweet van!! It would be great for camping. Driving and traveling, less so.
Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 10:52 PM   #5

I'd say do the above mentioned due diligence and dip that toe in. Deal with what comes when it comes and get out there and enjoy it. Short trips to sus it out and go from there. There's probably some wiggle room built into that price as well.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 01:07 AM   #6

This is also a half-ton vehicle.
Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 05:27 AM   #7

"but not knowing how much I'd really use it makes justifying the price difficult. Well, that and the lack of funds."

If you aren't sure how much you are going to use it, or if you have enough money to purchase, repair, restore, upgrade, and maintain the vehicle, then don't buy it.

IMO, like a boat, in order to make these elective "toy" purchases worth it, they need to be used regularly and you have to have adequate funds to do so.

I have been a van camper guy for 50 year, and a boat owner for 20. No regrets, and I don't feel that these possessions are a hole that I just throw my money in to.

Good luck with your decision.
blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 07:49 AM   #8

As much as I am a "go for it" guy, I would recommend keeping clear of this rig unless you could buy it for less than half of asking and at that you reserved another $8k for maintenance and upgrades that I would not expect to recoup when upgrading to the next rig.

There is clearly significant rust in the Driver door and rust is apparent in the passenger door. Both those door panels need to come off for a deeper inspection. Also of major concern, is what is happening at the rear roof line on the drivers side? I cannot determine what is happening there but it is a known area for paint rub through on SMB tops that leads to potential rust through. I would want to see the floor metal under both the driver and passenger floor in front of the seats.

As stated by others, this is a 1/2 ton van in the 1989 configuration. This means LIGHT DUTY - lighter gauge frame, 5 lug wheels, smaller brakes, etc.

I cannot tell if the fridge is actually propane or not. The venting on the side of the van would indicate a propane powered fridge. They can be good or a problem. If propane, the van needs to be relatively level for the fridge to operate. This needs to be tested.

Make sure to test the fuel transfer/selector for the auxiliary fuel tank and check the fuel lines for integrity.

re FS roads - test drive it over lots of bumps and rough roads - that will tell you the condition of the suspension components and steering.

5.0L (302 cu in) engine will be asked to do a lot moving this rig uphill. There is no way any $$ should be spent on converting this to 4x4.

Get out there and inspect / drive / research a number of vans. It will take a bit but that will help with a buying a good rig.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6378.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	47603Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6380.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	47604
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6381.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	47605Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6382.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	47606
Old 07-03-2023, 08:37 AM   #9

About what we paid for a 2001 fixed high-top in almost perfect condition (not a Sportsmobile). Got to ask yourself how much $ that Sportsmobile badge is worth. There are some nicely made older vans out there, but it can take a very long time to find one, and they sell in a matter of hours. It takes a lot of patience!
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 10:39 AM   #10

My first SMB was a 95 with a 351 and it was barely enough to get it up grades. I can't imagine how underpowered a 302 (5.0) would be.

I think for that asking price, you can find a more modern van. I would shoot for a 1997+ van when it comes to Ford.