Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #21

Re: 4x4 Conversion?

They will do ARB lockers too, front and rear. (and the controls looks OEM too... Thanks to the dash layout in the newer vans).

Old 01-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

To my knowledge, Quigley is the only 4x4 manufacturer approved by Ford for drop shipments of new trucks that are later often sold on dealer's lots. Ford engineers reportedly went over all aspects of the Quigley conversion and approved it.

I haven't seen a Quadvan up close to see the differences, but steering knuckles and shock mounts are modified daily by most 4x4 fabrication shops without incident. I admit that the manner in which Quigley modified the rear shock mounts was a bit bush league (looks crappy too). Quigley took a short cut here to save money over new shocks or more involved welding after adding the rear spring lift block. I would have rather seen them install longer shocks or cut off and re-weld the shock mounts even with the axle tube so they don't hang down and potentially get caught up on things. I plan on remedying that when I get new shocks.

Everyone is going to have a favorite 4x4 conversion, but I wouldn't bash Quigley for the reasons CarringB stated.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchfoot
To my knowledge, Quigley is the only 4x4 manufacturer approved by Ford for drop shipments of new trucks that are later often sold on dealer's lots. Ford engineers reportedly went over all aspects of the Quigley conversion and approved it.

I haven't seen a Quadvan up close to see the differences, but steering knuckles and shock mounts are modified daily by most 4x4 fabrication shops without incident. I admit that the manner in which Quigley modified the rear shock mounts was a bit bush league (looks crappy too). Quigley took a short cut here to save money over new shocks or more involved welding after adding the rear spring lift block. I would have rather seen them install longer shocks or cut off and re-weld the shock mounts even with the axle tube so they don't hang down and potentially get caught up on things. I plan on remedying that when I get new shocks.

Everyone is going to have a favorite 4x4 conversion, but I wouldn't bash Quigley for the reasons CarringB stated.
Ford is also approved for drop-ship.

Anyone who is considering a conversion should look at them side by side.

Quigley continues with their drop-ship status by signing the document stating they haven't made any changes. The last time they were were actually evaluated was before they started using the '05+ Superduty axle.

If you did a physical comparison, I think you'd be suprised.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwirk
There's an outfit in SLC, UT that claims they can do "most applications" for around $10k
What outfit would that be? It's not to say that an independent shop that's never touched a van can't do amazing things- look at Panion's van for one, but there would have to be a lot more than price on the line (knowing that they do amazing work on anything, knowing that they can really do custom builds not the bolt on stuff, etc.)
Old 01-27-2010, 02:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwirk
There's an outfit in SLC, UT that claims they can do "most applications" for around $10k
What outfit would that be? It's not to say that an independent shop that's never touched a van can't do amazing things- look at Panion's van for one, but there would have to be a lot more than price on the line (knowing that they do amazing work on anything, knowing that they can really do custom builds not the bolt on stuff, etc.)
http://www.advanced4x4vans.com/
Their stuff looks like pre-'98 F-series running gear. But that's just based on the pics. I'm not really sure.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #26

We used SK for our conversion. Craig was very knowledgeable and they did a great job. We did a 4" lift and 34" tires on 17" wheels (to cover the heavier brakes). You can check with them about the 46 gallon fuel cell. If they can't, Transferflow is just down the road in Chico which is where the companies get their 46 gallon tanks. We re-geard the rear end to end back up with the original 4:10. I think it was 4:56 gearing but don't quote me on that. It is dead nuts on. We have put two years on the conversion with no glitches whatsoever. Good luck with your project. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #27

Quadvan: they said they could do ARB's front and rear, but they then told me that the ARB's are being re-designed and they could not get them for a few months. I didn't really want the air compressor installed, so I didn't really try to confirm this information. I went with an e-locker in front and a TrueTrac in the rear. Happy so far. And yes, 1500 clams for a switch on the dash that engages the hubs OR 2000 for a complete shift-on-the-fly system. I like the first option, though, because you have the manual hubs and manual shifter if something fails. In my case, that something did - a wire was shorting and the auto-hub relay didn't work. Fixed now, but it was nice to know I could engage it manually if needed.

As for Salem Kroger and Trans-Flow tanks, Craig told me that he would not install them any more after a problem he once had with a customer getting stuck in Baja after something went. A sending unit? I don't know. That was actually a deal-breaker for me and I decided to go with Quadvan. A 26 gallon tank was not going to cut it. I'd even like to get another aux tank, but I have an standard length and like one of my spares underneath, so there may not be enough room. A couple of jerrycans will do.

Getting the electrical work done now by someone in Jersey. That's one thing I just don't do, and it may be overkill, but I'm happy with it. Can use it in my video work.

After that, once the warmer weather comes, it's interior time.