Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 38
Chirping Noise when in 4-Hi

Need some help with a diagnoses on a new sound that's started popping up with my 1998 E-250 4x4 Quigley.

When I shift into 4-high, I've started getting a chirping sound when I'm moving. As soon as I stop moving, it disappears. Tested it in 4-low and it doesn't recreate the same sound.

Is there a trusted 4x4 shop in Bend, OR that other forum members have taken there rigs to?
__________________

__________________
-James

IG: @shreddie_bettie
PulseofdaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
REF
Senior Member
 
REF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, CO.
Posts: 1,735
Send a message via MSN to REF
Try this, see post #6 for a map of mechanics in your area
Custom map (e.g. Google) to show sportsmobile mechanics & shops?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t
__________________

__________________
'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
(de)SMB'd Custom RB-50
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile Offroad's R.I.P. package
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
TomsBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 653
It could just be a dry driveshaft spline, or ujoint going bad.



If your front axle has a non-servicable unit wheel bearing, they squeak when they start going bad.



I'd take it to my friend Jeremy Bond in Reedsport, OR. 4hrs from you I know, but he's good at diagnosing 4x4 drivetrain problems, isn't afraid to dive into something non-standard like a SMB



https://www.yelp.com/biz/jeremys-aut...road-reedsport


Good luck!
__________________
1995 E350 7.3 Diesel, 4x4 high roof camper, UJOR 4" lift
TomsBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bellpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 293
Inter Mountian Truck repair or Weisner’s is who I would recomend in Bend, Or.
__________________
2010 E350 6.0 4x4 EB 50 SMB
2007 E350 6.0 4x4 RB 50 SMB (sold)
Bellpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 38
Thanks for the info! The noise comes and goes, so I've been avoiding using the 4-wheel drive when possible, but am planning on getting it looked at soon.

I did notice the other day that when switching the hubs from Free to Locked and then back from Locked to Free, the Driver side hub was noticeably different than the passenger side... made a weird clink noise when switching and didn't feel like it was actually engaging... could a bad hub be to blame potentially?
__________________
-James

IG: @shreddie_bettie
PulseofdaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
TomsBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulseofdaNation View Post
Thanks for the info! The noise comes and goes, so I've been avoiding using the 4-wheel drive when possible, but am planning on getting it looked at soon.

I did notice the other day that when switching the hubs from Free to Locked and then back from Locked to Free, the Driver side hub was noticeably different than the passenger side... made a weird clink noise when switching and didn't feel like it was actually engaging... could a bad hub be to blame potentially?

It's possible; I had rattles and squeaks coming from my Dana 60 front axle a couple years ago, and found several things wrong, including a Warn premium manual locking hub with broken parts inside. I fixed several things at the same time, so I didn't isolate anything.
__________________
1995 E350 7.3 Diesel, 4x4 high roof camper, UJOR 4" lift
TomsBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
arctictraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
It's possible; I had rattles and squeaks coming from my Dana 60 front axle a couple years ago, and found several things wrong, including a Warn premium manual locking hub with broken parts inside. I fixed several things at the same time, so I didn't isolate anything.

Great, I just installed Warn Premium hubs, and considered carrying one of the old ones as a spare, but figured I would never need it. Now I have to re-think that.
__________________
Arctic Traveller
KC6TNI
2001 GTRV
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
www.arctictraveller.com
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
TomsBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Great, I just installed Warn Premium hubs, and considered carrying one of the old ones as a spare, but figured I would never need it. Now I have to re-think that.

Most of the 4x4 rock crawler guys consider the dog ring inside the Warn hubs as 'the fuse' that protects the ring and pinion and driveshaft. They are made from some kind of pressed powder and sintered metal, that let's go when 'hammered'.


Mine broke because the 1999 Dana 60 stub axle rides directly on a needle bearing set, which had demised, and where spit out. Then the axle ujoint was allowed to wobble about, putting a bending moment on the Warn hub guts, breaking the snap ring, rolling over the groove, and ruining some other Warn parts. I guess they were "well worn Warn" parts
__________________

__________________
1995 E350 7.3 Diesel, 4x4 high roof camper, UJOR 4" lift
TomsBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.