Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #1

Chirping Noise when in 4-Hi

Need some help with a diagnoses on a new sound that's started popping up with my 1998 E-250 4x4 Quigley.

When I shift into 4-high, I've started getting a chirping sound when I'm moving. As soon as I stop moving, it disappears. Tested it in 4-low and it doesn't recreate the same sound.

Is there a trusted 4x4 shop in Bend, OR that other forum members have taken there rigs to?

IG: @shreddie_bettie
PulseofdaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Try this, see post #6 for a map of mechanics in your area
Custom map (e.g. Google) to show sportsmobile mechanics & shops?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #3

It could just be a dry driveshaft spline, or ujoint going bad.

If your front axle has a non-servicable unit wheel bearing, they squeak when they start going bad.

I'd take it to my friend Jeremy Bond in Reedsport, OR. 4hrs from you I know, but he's good at diagnosing 4x4 drivetrain problems, isn't afraid to dive into something non-standard like a SMB

https://www.yelp.com/biz/jeremys-aut...road-reedsport

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #4

Inter Mountian Truck repair or Weisner’s is who I would recomend in Bend, Or.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the info! The noise comes and goes, so I've been avoiding using the 4-wheel drive when possible, but am planning on getting it looked at soon.

I did notice the other day that when switching the hubs from Free to Locked and then back from Locked to Free, the Driver side hub was noticeably different than the passenger side... made a weird clink noise when switching and didn't feel like it was actually engaging... could a bad hub be to blame potentially?

IG: @shreddie_bettie
PulseofdaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulseofdaNation View Post
Thanks for the info! The noise comes and goes, so I've been avoiding using the 4-wheel drive when possible, but am planning on getting it looked at soon.

I did notice the other day that when switching the hubs from Free to Locked and then back from Locked to Free, the Driver side hub was noticeably different than the passenger side... made a weird clink noise when switching and didn't feel like it was actually engaging... could a bad hub be to blame potentially?

It's possible; I had rattles and squeaks coming from my Dana 60 front axle a couple years ago, and found several things wrong, including a Warn premium manual locking hub with broken parts inside. I fixed several things at the same time, so I didn't isolate anything.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
It's possible; I had rattles and squeaks coming from my Dana 60 front axle a couple years ago, and found several things wrong, including a Warn premium manual locking hub with broken parts inside. I fixed several things at the same time, so I didn't isolate anything.

Great, I just installed Warn Premium hubs, and considered carrying one of the old ones as a spare, but figured I would never need it. Now I have to re-think that.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Great, I just installed Warn Premium hubs, and considered carrying one of the old ones as a spare, but figured I would never need it. Now I have to re-think that.

Most of the 4x4 rock crawler guys consider the dog ring inside the Warn hubs as 'the fuse' that protects the ring and pinion and driveshaft. They are made from some kind of pressed powder and sintered metal, that let's go when 'hammered'.

Mine broke because the 1999 Dana 60 stub axle rides directly on a needle bearing set, which had demised, and where spit out. Then the axle ujoint was allowed to wobble about, putting a bending moment on the Warn hub guts, breaking the snap ring, rolling over the groove, and ruining some other Warn parts. I guess they were "well worn Warn" parts