Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #51

Re: Deaver Springs long term reviews?

Forgive my ignorance, but what are you complaints about the stock setups, and what are the advantages to the Deaver springs? I see that some complained about the ride of the stock springs, but not sure if the complaint was too soft, or too hard?

My '01 SMB 4x4 seems to have a very soft ride. My one complaint is that it tends to be too "bouncy" off road, but I am hoping that the replacement Bilsteins I just put on will rectify that. I haven't had a chance for a new test on them. I replaced the Rancho's that were on it.

Otherwise, it is a very comfortable ride. I am hoping that the shocks will fix my other problem, but if not, is the Deaver's an answer to that?

Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #52

The problem is even though converted to 4x4 and added a lot more weight to the van with the interior conversion they still used same stock leaf setup that the van originally came with (they do upgrade the shocks). What this does is basically make the leaf springs compress so much that I have 2 1/2" on the rear and only an 1 1/4" travel on the front before hitting the bump stops. The leaf spring is basically level and slightly inverted. The deaver setup adds 6 or more leaf springs to the stock setup to compensate for the weight and makes the leaf springs and shocks work together more uniformly. This makes the ride less harsh on bumps. I hit some washboards with the stock setup and the whole van feels like it will shake apart. Any bumps and it is like hitting a huge concrete block at least it feels like it.

Mine is an SMB 4x4 conversion and SMB changed the stock leaf spring setup sometime after mine I think in '08 maybe? Yours is an '01 so I am guessing a Quigley conversion and I am not sure of their setup but am guessing they use an actual spring setup rather than leaf springs?? If you have leaf springs then it will benefit you. If you ave a ginat spring and shock setup then just new shocks may help and Bilsteins are some of the best.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #53

Hmm, I've loaded my van down to the hilt, and have never felt the harsh bottoming you all are referring to. I guess I should consider myself lucky though. Yes, it is a Quigley conversion, but it does have coil springs.

I do hope the uncontrollable bouncing goes away, if not, I may have to pay a visit to Deaver for a solution to that. Thinking a double shock setup might be in order. Luckily, they are local to me.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #54

Quigley and SMB4x4 are two different things. My rear springs were flat, and the van handled great as they were maxed out on the overload springs- like a sportscar with really tight suspension. However in the front the bumpstops were murder when they hit hard. The Quigley's have more of an issue with saggy rear, rather than bumpstops and flat springs (negatively arched springs maybe?)

Anyway, if the Deaver's aren't necessary, they aren't necessary- it's just a good solution for the SMB4x4 suspension problems.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #55
Site Team

Garage

I did it and had Jeff at Deaver confirm what I needed and he is making a set For Jiminy. No more blocks and getting back the 2 inch drop in the rear.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #56
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Update:
Where is the "and then my front axle fell off" part? Did the gypsy finally forgive you?
Ya...maybe?
I still can't believe how harsh the ride was before the Deaver pack. I never (as posted before) felt the bump stops. What I feel now is a smooth ride. Jeff had to send me another spring for my rig as it was slightly low in the rear...it sits a little high now. I'm very happy now. I look for holes to hit

Did the gypsy forgive me??? Seems like the refrigerator isn't running like normal...friggin luck or a curse.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quigley and SMB4x4 are two different things. My rear springs were flat, and the van handled great as they were maxed out on the overload springs- like a sportscar with really tight suspension. However in the front the bumpstops were murder when they hit hard. The Quigley's have more of an issue with saggy rear, rather than bumpstops and flat springs (negatively arched springs maybe?)

Anyway, if the Deaver's aren't necessary, they aren't necessary- it's just a good solution for the SMB4x4 suspension problems.
So is there a Deaver option for Quigley rear? And I've only been able to find info on the "stock E350" fitment Bilsteins for Quigleys. What is the hot suspension setup (such that it is) for a Quigley? Front coil spacers, rear wheel spacers, rear springs, Bilsteins?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 PM   #58

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Quote:
So is there a Deaver option for Quigley rear? And I've only been able to find info on the "stock E350" fitment Bilsteins for Quigleys. What is the hot suspension setup (such that it is) for a Quigley? Front coil spacers, rear wheel spacers, rear springs, Bilsteins?
You can buy Deavers for the rear of any conversion I imagine. I had them on my '02 Quigley. Made a huge difference in ride quality off-road.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Quote:
You can buy Deavers for the rear of any conversion I imagine. I had them on my '02 Quigley. Made a huge difference in ride quality off-road.

Z
They list different lift options. Did you order a specific lift or just "Quigley e350"?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #60
Site Team

Garage

Get the van weights front, rear and total and what lift blocks you have in place then Call Jeff. I went to him because I want them to do the swap and If I dont like the way it sits he will make it right. He did say his 10.5 spring was going to work. Im assuming its a 10500 lb spring as I have a 9600LB van? Not sure.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote